Diamondbrite on new Ford - yes or no?

I have found brief references to diamondbrite on here but wondering if anyone had any experience.

I am about to take delivery of new fiesta and as I am likely to have the car at least 10 years I am keen to take steps to protect it as the paintwork on my previous car went really dull. The dealer has offered diamondbrite (protective cover for outside and inside) which has a 10 year guarantee.

I know that there are those who will say the cost is astronomical (£350) and the result is not worth it but I am looking at this long term. I am unable to wash the car where I live and I know that even with the best intentions I won't get it cleaned and polished every month. I am thinking that the cost of the treatment can be justified as I won't have to pay to get it cleaned and polished as often.

Any comments either way (particularly those who have direct experience) would be very welcome.

Other related question - once you have had the treatment on your car can you use ordinary polish and shampoo or do you have to use the diamondbrite (diamondbrite say you have to use their products, but they are not going to say otherwise are they !)

The car is costing almost £12000 so another £350 is negligible if it is going to prolong the appearance of the car.
Proud to be dealing with my debts

Comments

• i would say no as my peugot is over 10 years old and the paint is like new, even when its been around the world a few times.

I would imagine taking care of it yourself will be much better than spending £350

Do fords still rust away or is that a thing of the past now?
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    no , its way overpriced

you can get the kits on ebay for peanuts if you really want it on your car , its no better than any other good sealant

all the claims for stained paintwork is carefully worded so they can get out of paying
  • maniac886
    maniac886 Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Better off cleaning it yourself and then sticking some good wax on every 3-4 months. Collinite 476s should do you fine.
    "He's a maniac, maniac that's for sure,
    He will kill your cat and nail him to the door" :eek:
    Murphys No More Pies Club Member #95
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    typical isnt it, you pay £12000 for a new car, and the !!!!!!s want another £350 for paint protection. I know they want every penny they can out of you, but why cant they use paint that doesnt fade in the first blooming place?

I cant add a link but go to the Ford Focus owners club, and ask there. They are very helpful

good luck
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have found brief references to diamondbrite on here but wondering if anyone had any experience.

I am about to take delivery of new fiesta and as I am likely to have the car at least 10 years I am keen to take steps to protect it as the paintwork on my previous car went really dull. The dealer has offered diamondbrite (protective cover for outside and inside) which has a 10 year guarantee.

I know that there are those who will say the cost is astronomical (£350) and the result is not worth it but I am looking at this long term. I am unable to wash the car where I live and I know that even with the best intentions I won't get it cleaned and polished every month. I am thinking that the cost of the treatment can be justified as I won't have to pay to get it cleaned and polished as often.

Any comments either way (particularly those who have direct experience) would be very welcome.

Other related question - once you have had the treatment on your car can you use ordinary polish and shampoo or do you have to use the diamondbrite (diamondbrite say you have to use their products, but they are not going to say otherwise are they !)

The car is costing almost £12000 so another £350 is negligible if it is going to prolong the appearance of the car.

Polishing your car regularly will prevent the paintwork from dulling - its not enough just to wash it every now and then.

Avoid the £350 treatment - as others have said its way overpriced and an easy way for the dealer to get extra profit from you. Just to put it into perspective, heres the product on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/diamondbrite-paint-protection-sealent_W0QQitemZ290305770658QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item290305770658&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
  • maniac886
    maniac886 Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    BillTrac wrote: »
    typical isnt it, you pay £12000 for a new car, and the !!!!!!s want another £350 for paint protection. I know they want every penny they can out of you, but why cant they use paint that doesnt fade in the first blooming place?

I cant add a link but go to the Ford Focus owners club, and ask there. They are very helpful

good luck

Yep I just did a search and DB isn't getting good reviews over there. Best off looking at detailing world for tips on how to keep your car in tip top condition.
    "He's a maniac, maniac that's for sure,
    He will kill your cat and nail him to the door" :eek:
    Murphys No More Pies Club Member #95
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In your case as you are really unable to clean it then Yes.

But there are loads of hand car wash places around run by immigrants. £350 will buy a lot of £5 washes.
    The man without a signature.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My DH got it on his 24K Galaxy & he reckons its an over priced gimmic.
  • Its a massive waste of money. You can buy what you need for £20.

Don't bother - they'll press you hard, but tell them 'no' in certain terms.
  • Well that seems unanimous - thank you all.

I guess I was swayed by the 10 year guarantee thinking it really must be worth the extra but think on reflection (and in view of all the comments) that I should just make the effort to make sure it is washed and polished regularly, even if I pay someone else to do it.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport