Ugh! Sewarage leak!

Options
Ewwwwwwwwww... lodger reported that the veggie patch flooded after his bath, so I've just been out to check it out... and yep, whenever something's flushed away in the bathroom, the top of the garden (along the length of the underground sewerage pipe) becomes a smelly puddle _pale_

Just called the water company and they'll be out tomorrow... does anyone know what the rules / potential issues could be so I'm pre-warned? Would hate the dude to fob me off...
Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I believe anything on your property is your responsibility. So you pay for repairs.

However you may get a 'good will' gesture and a free repair - they often do this as a 'one off' for water supply pipes.
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like it's a buildings insurance claim - turns out to be a blocked drain so they're coming on Friday. Collected the excess of £150 - I can't help but wonder how much the work costs??
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
    OK, some investigation this morning - the drain wasn't blocked at all, he played about with it but it wouldn't go anywhere. After some more investigation, worked out that there's actually an old ciphon (sp?) drain about 12 feet below the tarmac pavement in front of my house, and it's almost certainly collapsed, blocking any entry into the sewer.

So now what? is that the water board's responsibility?
  • bluewire
    bluewire Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    I am sure that the man from Del Monte would say YES.

I would have thought that the inspector would have told you the next steps.

Give the water company a call and ask what they will be doing.
  • saveallmymoney
    Options
    If your house is built after a certain time (30s?) then it may well still be your responsiblity, the water company will come out and tell you if that the case though.
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
    Cheers dude :) Have given them a call and they're on their way... the house was built around 1925 and apparently the ciphon (sp?) drains were fitted in 1948, when the houses on my road were council-owned. Then in 1970 they moved all the kitchens and tarmac'd over the pavememt above the drains, blocking all access to them.

One at a time, half the houses on my road have had to dig up the tarmac and go 12 feet down to remove a collapsed ciphon (sp?) drain :rolleyes:
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
    Oh, this is getting boring now - just had a call back from the water board to say it's not them :mad: Phoned the insurance company back just to get, "this office is now closed". Grr!
  • mikeassured
    mikeassured Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

We had a problem with a sewerage pipe which runs under our property and into the road, water company were not interested and eventually we got enviromental services to come out from our local council. They sent out a surveyor the next morning who arranged for local company to come out to clear the blockage. As it was a pipe that services more than two properties and it was a first call out, they didnt charge us.

Hope you get it sorted.

Sue
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
    Home insurance company just called - they are covering it :grin:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories