PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Incapacity Benefits

Hi All...I have been asked if i consider renting out one of my properties to someone on incapacity benefits and i wandered if this could in any way be problematic:confused:
Its usuall that i rent out to people in full time work so i am a little unsure on this one. Thanks in advance for any comments ...

Comments

• suze_g
    suze_g Posts: 68 Forumite
    It's Incapacity Benefit, and it means that someone cannot work because they are not well. They will be entitled to claim Local Housing Allowance probably so should be fine. Your local authority website will have lots of info about it.
  • Ladybird20
    Ladybird20 Posts: 465 Forumite
    yeah but are they allowed enough money to cover any rental?? how does that work? Only my properties are fully furnished to a very high standard and this is reflected in the price of the property....and thank you for your reply ,,
  • racheyg
    racheyg Posts: 928 Forumite
    Incapacity benefit can be pretty high! Not sure how much - and it may be that it is taken away if it is not proven to be needed anymore (I think, someone may correct me on this?) It's a benefit that is constantly reviewed, as I understand (again, someone may know better than me)
    Thought processes can be managed positively, so that they help you to achieve what you want, rather than hindering your judgement.
  • Ladybird20
    hmmmm so already i am not getting a good feeling about renting in this way.Also does the money go to the tenent then to be paid to the landlord or straight to the landlord? i wont accept anything other than being paid to myself directly.
  • Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    incapacity benefit plus LHA is more than enough.
    what many landlords dont understand is that the LHA isnt as low as the old fixed rate HB, the rates for LHA are more in line with the true cost of a monthly rent
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    See at...
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10016082

Rates are currently
    "

Rates

Current weekly amounts
    Weekly rate Amount Amount if you are over State Pension age
    short-term (lower rate) £63.75 £81.10
    short-term (higher rate) £75.40 £84.50
    long-term basic rate £84.50 You are not eligible for long-term basic rate IB

"

I'd (well, I am suspicious by nature) wanna see proof they are on IB.

Be aware the government can (and understandably is under great pressure to ..) take away IB if circumstances change

e.g. (Just one example..)
    http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmhansrd/cm070108/debtext/70108-0002.htm

Cheers & Good luck to you & your tenants!

Lodger
  • Ladybird20
    ....thank you for your replies,,very usefull.....i cant see how they can afford it myself, considering theres 85.00 council tax (or do they not pay that??)plus all the bills..i am thinking itsa no go.....
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Ladybird20 wrote: »
    hmmmm so already i am not getting a good feeling about renting in this way.Also does the money go to the tenent then to be paid to the landlord or straight to the landlord? i wont accept anything other than being paid to myself directly.

Then you will need to forget this option as in 90% of cases it is paid to the tenant directly.

The 10% will need to have solution abuse, learning difficulties or previous arrears history in order for you to receive the allowance directly.

LHA is separate from their other benefits and council tax is also claimed for.
  • Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    they will get council tax benefit as well that will fully cover it
  • Ladybird20
    thanks guys you have been a great help xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income