MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Rod let little Jane go to Freddie’s unaffordable party?

Comments

• traceyf01
    traceyf01 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Yes I would - at the end of the day the kids shouldn't miss out and if Freddies dad's too proud....well good for him.
    Maybe someone could suggest a street party, banners, flags, BBQ, water shooters:rotfl: :rotfl: - the kids would enjoy that far more
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Quick answer - yes Jane should go to the party.

It is down to Freddie's parents to make the call on this one - not Jane's.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    No, I wouldn't. I'm obviously out of step with everybody else here. I know it's not the child's fault that Freddie's Dad went bust but I think this is a case where parents should take the moral lead and not encourage their child to feed at the feast of somebody else's misfortune.. I'd just explain the circumstances to him/her and say I didn't think it was right to have a free outing at somebody else's expense when they will have difficulty in paying for it.
  • Thali
    Thali Posts: 46 Forumite
    Same, I wouldn't let her go as Jane isn't really great friends with the other kid and only because someone is too proud/ embarrassed to cancel the party, one shouldn't take advantage of it.
  • Freddie's parents are the hosts and they make the decisions. If the party is still going ahead, then yes.
  • Yes i'd let them go, as said before they could cancel if they wanted to, though i would tell my child not to ask for any extra food/popcorn etc.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's up to Freddies dad to bite the bullet and cancel if he has to - even if it means disappointing Freddie and losing any deposit. But presumably he is not cancelling so Jane should go. How would Freddie feel if kids started dropping out?
    I think the moral dilemna is actually with Freddies family not Janes.

But if Janes Dad is feeling generous, he could make an anonymous donation to the restaurant to cover some of the costs. Sorted.
  • Jane's Dad should make sure she a super present to take to the party for her classmate and also make sure she/he is always unvited to her (Jane's) parties.
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Yes. Until the parents cancel it is not your right to decide they can't afford it.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• I suppose there are other ways to contribute rather than upfront offering cash... I would maybe offer to drive some of the kids there (thus saving them petrol) or something similar? That way I'd be less likely to cause offense or embarassment
    :j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport