Selling decent 10 year old car but tax expires. Renew?

Options
Hello

I'm about to put my decent but 10 year old motor up for sale on Ebay.

Value is under £2,000.

MOT from Nov.

Tax expires tomorrow.

Question is, should I shell out £101.75 for 6 months tax? It is garaged but tax would enable test drives. If I do, should I keep the tax disc for a refund or include it in the sale?

Should I put a new MOT on for £45 or just say "all inspections welcome". I'm sure it will pass but together thats £150!

Appreciate advice from those in the know'.

Thanx.

Martin

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Will it be insured? That will be more important than the tax for a test drive.

Personally i would tax it but purely from the point of view it is one less reason for a potential buyer to say no. MOT I probably wouldn't bother.
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am not particularly 'in the know', but if it were me I would advertise it without tax but say you are willing to get the tax at an extra cost of £101.75 to make life easier for the purchaser.

By the way I have sold 2 cars on ebay and think its a brilliant way to sell!
  • swiftnick
    swiftnick Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I would get 12 months mot on it as this will definitely help the car sell.

As for the tax, you're going to need it for a legal test drive, but if it's going on ebay is it necesarry?

I personally would't buy a car without driving it, but then I wouldn't buy one from ebay.

Tough desicion.

Nick
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    swiftnick wrote: »
    Personally I would get 12 months mot on it as this will definitely help the car sell.

As for the tax, you're going to need it for a legal test drive, but if it's going on ebay is it necesarry?

I personally would't buy a car without driving it, but then I wouldn't buy one from ebay.

Tough desicion.

Nick

Sell it without tax - it can be used as a negotiating tool on price etc

Dont re-Mot it however state you are willing to do so if it secures a sale (within reasonable cost)

Someone buying a 10 year old car for a decent price is likely to be in the know mechanics wise and wont be put off by these sort of things
  • Martin_Knott-Lewis
    Options
    Thanx all.

Busis,

Did you put them on ebay auctions or Buy-It-Now price or ebay classifieds? Curious to know which works best for you. Guess if its an auction then you don't need test drives as they have committed or come to see before bidding.

• Robertf
    Robertf Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    personally I'd do the MOT and the tax. Many buyers will be put off without.

Also use a classified on ebay - about £12.
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    I thought, that without an MOT, you could only advertise it for spares or repairs.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought, that without an MOT, you could only advertise it for spares or repairs.

It's got an MOT until November
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Thanx all.

Busis,

Did you put them on ebay auctions or Buy-It-Now price or ebay classifieds? Curious to know which works best for you. Guess if its an auction then you don't need test drives as they have committed or come to see before bidding.

Er, no.
    Good in theory, but if they turn up and ask for a test drive, are you going to say no?
    I've bought off ebay auctions, and always had a test drive. If not I'll walk away.
    And I won't bid without tax, it's just too hard to get the car home otherwise. MOT until Nov is good.
  • bristol_pilot
    bristol_pilot Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    Options
    I would never buy a used car without MOT.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure