🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Scottish Power To Pay Direct Debit Interest

Options
bristolleedsfan
bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,134 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
One in the eye for the posters who have been adamant that Power Companies are entitled to interest free credit balances in return for DD discounts. :rolleyes2

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/consumer/bills/article.html?in_article_id=481252&in_page_id=510

Comments

• 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    LOL. I'm sure there's something behind this we haven't been told yet. Energy companies just don't do this sort of thing unless they are forced/co-erced. 3% is pretty good these days, maybe I should ask them to up my DD to a couple of grand a month....strokes chin.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    It's a good thing the energy companies are so keen to give their profits back to us. Otherwise they'd be looking for a way to claw this back.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    ..strokes chin.

:think: .....
  • lilmissmup
    lilmissmup Posts: 6,884 Forumite
    Options
    Does this mean my DD will go down as will be in credit next bill?
    Now a SAHM trying to earn some spare pennies each month
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    What will this board be like this time next year, if the energy companies only let people build up balances of £133 over the summer? Just before, over or after Christmas, we'll all get hit with that first winter statement and DDs will have to soar to catch up.

I suppose I'm one of those people referred to in post 1. Not that I feel the energy companies are entitled to earn interest from DD balances without compensating customers. But I can see it makes business sense to limit the number of customers building debts over the winter and, personally, I feel the DD discount makes it worthwhile to build credit that pays the winter bills.
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Definately a step forward, so long as it isn't matched by a drop in DD discounts, or worse, interest charged on any balances over £100.
    Me, cynical?
  • Shonk_2
    Shonk_2 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Scottish power are idiots im £400 in credit
    and my readings are upto date
    but they refuse to lower my direct debit
  • Emma_Salmon
    Options
    I've just asked about this and they say they give you a 10% discount for paying upfront (for me its app £600 for both electric and gas) but I asked if I used over 10% less energy would I get a rebait for the balance and they said no that it would just roll over so would you ever benefit from this 3%?
    First win Friday 13th! Knew it was a lucky day for me :p
    2009 Wins: Special K, Super Glue & Little Dish Ruck Sack
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    I've just asked about this and they say they give you a 10% discount for paying upfront (for me its app £600 for both electric and gas) but I asked if I used over 10% less energy would I get a rebait for the balance and they said no that it would just roll over so would you ever benefit from this 3%?

There appears to be two or possibly even three seperate initatives. ;)

"In a second initiative, aimed at encouraging customers to pay on time, ScottishPower will offer a five per cent discount to customers who settle their estimated annual bill in advance. "
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    lilmissmup wrote: »
    Does this mean my DD will go down as will be in credit next bill?

I wouldnt hold my breath if I were you!
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport