ISA Countdown

Options
Would i be right in saying that if i opened an ISA account tomorrow and i could deposit £3600 right away and come the start of the tax year in 7 days i would get the full interest of 3% for this year or whatever i choose to go with?
I mean is there a cool off period were you have to havve the account opened for a few weeks?

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends on the ISA on when interest is paid but no you won't get the full 3% for having money in there for 7 days.

If interest is paid on 6th April you will get 3%/52 (as this makes one weeks worth of interest).
  • alastair_h
    alastair_h Posts: 548 Forumite
    Options
    No you wouldn't get 3% of £3,600, you would only get that if it had been in there for a year (and interest rates had remained the same).

You would get 3% of £3,600 / 365 x number of days £3,600 was in your account.
    "Every Pounds A Prisoner "
    "Loyalty to the Best Interest Rate"

:beer:
  • aidso
    aidso Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    pfft there was me thinking i was going to make a quick buck :)
  • alastair_h
    alastair_h Posts: 548 Forumite
    Options
    No we'd all be doing it if it was that easy ;)
    "Every Pounds A Prisoner "
    "Loyalty to the Best Interest Rate"

:beer:
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    aidso wrote: »
    Would i be right in saying that if i opened an ISA account tomorrow and i could deposit £3600 right away and come the start of the tax year in 7 days i would get the full interest of 3% for this year or whatever i choose to go with?
    I mean is there a cool off period were you have to havve the account opened for a few weeks?
    Wouldn't it be nice of the banks to pay us all 3% for the privilege of having the use of our cash for 7 days..... ;)

As Lokolo says, you earn very roughly one 365th of the interest rate per day - the AER rate assumes that the funds are in the account for a full year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure