Freesat, how do I get it?

in TV MoneySaving
10 replies 9.7K views
I have Sky currently and want to "do away with it". Wondered what my cheapest option would be.

Is it possible to get some kind of freesat card off of sky that I dont need to pay asubscription for, or am I better off buying one of these Freesat boxes from Argos and plugging that into my dish?

Replies

• A_Nice_EnglishmanA_Nice_Englishman Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just cancel your subscription, leave the card in your box and you will get the free channels. You will lose the Sky+ recording capability.
  • anyone know what the free channels are?
  • HazzanetHazzanet Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    anyone know what the free channels are?

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/freesat-tv-choice.aspx
  • I only have the standard Sky Digibox, so the Sky plus recordings wont affect me. Am I likely to get better channels on BBC ITV Freeview?
  • A_Nice_EnglishmanA_Nice_Englishman Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a list of all the Freeview channels. How many of them you get will depend on where you live and your aerial.

This site has lots of well-informed content on digital TV.
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    generaloneill - a little clarification - if you cancel your sky subscription, your sky card should revert to being a 'Freesat from Sky' card. Sky will also sell you a card for £20.
    Freeview is digital TV received through your aerial.
    Freesat (which is what I think your BBC/ITV comment refers to) is a subscription free satellite system.
    To get freesat, unplug your skybox, and plug a freesat box in it's place, that's it. same cables, same dish pointing same direction.
    Channels are here:
    http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.Main
    HTH
  • Anyone thinking about Freesat should first consider the cheaper option of a FTA (free to air) satellite receiver. You can pick one up from somewhere like Maplin for less than £30. You'll be able to receive all the channels which aren't encrypted, far more than you'll get on Freesat. You just won't get the EPG and interactive services.

Check out ses-astra.com
  • brownfrogbrownfrog Forumite
    189 Posts
    lazybill wrote: »
    Anyone thinking about Freesat should first consider the cheaper option of a FTA (free to air) satellite receiver. You can pick one up from somewhere like Maplin for less than £30. You'll be able to receive all the channels which aren't encrypted, far more than you'll get on Freesat. You just won't get the EPG and interactive services.

Check out ses-astra.com

This site directs to the Freesat site, but you reckon they're not the same thing? Are they different boxes, or is it just picking up from a different satellite? I've got a satellite dish on the outside of my house (was there when I moved in, so I'm not even sure where the lead goes to :D but presumably I could use this?
  • edited 15 April 2009 at 9:22AM
    baldmosherbaldmosher Forumite
    71 Posts
    Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 15 April 2009 at 9:22AM
    Nah, you don't need to get rid of your Sky Digital set top box to receive Freesat. Just cancel your existing Sky subscription and you will continue to receive 250-odd channels (many of which are useless tat, of course....) for free through your existing Sky Digital box and dish.

This page has an offer to get Sky Freesat for a one-off payment (to Sky) of £73.40. This offer is half price (usually £147) because you also get a 4 month free trial of some extra Sky channel packages. You have to cancel your subscription before 4 months (i.e. lose the extra channel packages but keep the 250 free channels) or pay £19.50 a month subs to Sky.

There's a way to do it that avoids paying Murdoch a single penny. You can get it from BBC/ITV, it's definitely a lot more expensive than Sky (unless you've already got a Sky dish but no box, then it's only a bit more expensive), and with only 140 channels (so apparently without many of the cack channels, which I think would be a godsend! :D)

It looks like you have to pay a bit more if you want an HD capable Freesat box but that's still shedloads cheaper than paying for the extortionate Sky HD subscriptions.
  • pineapplepineapple Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is that if you got Sky installed on a special deal and have had your subscription over a year, you can just cancel and continue to use the equipment. Plus I might be wrong but I think you get more channels than Freeview?
    I've been on Sky Freesat for years. The Freesat Department warned me of all the ploys that would be used by the Subscription Department to stop me cancelling and they were right! They even tried telling me the signal would not be as good! I think Sky must have seen Freesat as a chance to tempt people into the subscription market. Unfortunately it's backfired.
    But I was conned into buying a special card for £20 which I have never used.
    My advice is to talk to the freesat side before cancelling, then you will be prepared for any blandishments that come your way from the subscription side.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides