edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
5 replies 662 views
illuminateilluminate Forumite
282 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
4 years ago I had a water meter fitted.

monthly bills rose from approx £35pm to £40-45.

I was a little disappointed as I had been hoping for savings.... but hey ho... stuff happens.. :rolleyes:

Bills then stayed fairly consistent, with little variations on the monthly direct debit each year to cater for under/overpayment.

Now throughout all this there has been no real change in our habits or usage. Same washer/dryer, dish washer, shower etc.

Out of the blue this week we get the new budget for the next 12 months.... there is a huge credit and because of this the monthly payment has been reduced from £44 to £17.

What on earth is going on ?

The meter is read regularly as there is easy access to it and I just can't think of an explanation.

Anybody any ideas ? :confused:

Replies

• illuminate wrote: »
    4 years ago I had a water meter fitted.

monthly bills rose from approx £35pm to £40-45.

I was a little disappointed as I had been hoping for savings.... but hey ho... stuff happens.. :rolleyes:

Bills then stayed fairly consistent, with little variations on the monthly direct debit each year to cater for under/overpayment.

Now throughout all this there has been no real change in our habits or usage. Same washer/dryer, dish washer, shower etc.

Out of the blue this week we get the new budget for the next 12 months.... there is a huge credit and because of this the monthly payment has been reduced from £44 to £17.

What on earth is going on ?

The meter is read regularly as there is easy access to it and I just can't think of an explanation.

Anybody any ideas ? :confused:

Hello Illuminate. Do you know whether you have any internal or external leak? Try and take regular meter reading before you go to sleep and first thing in the morning. If you see your meter is moving (provided you dont use any water in between these two period) there must be at least one leak at your property.

If you dont have any leak, it may be just a price increase. About your price increase, it is controlled by Ofwat and the company cannot charge you more than what had been agreed by Ofwat. You can refer to Ofwat's website here: http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/consumerissues/chargesbills/household/

If you think the increase is disproportionate, contact CCW or your company to check about your bill.

The water company has an obligation to review the payment plan at least once per year. Some water companies review twice. If you have credit on your account, your payment plan should be reduced. You need to contact your water company to check about this.

To speed up the process, send them a letter or email by marking your correspondence as a complaint, not enquiry. In this sense, they will have to respond to you within ten working days. If not, they must pay you at least 20 pounds for failure to respond within the time limit.

Hope this helps :)
    I used to be part of the water industry. If you need any advice, feel free to ask me :A
  • BongedoneBongedone Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ventriloquist you seem to have misread the OP. OP said his bill had gone down massively;

"there is a huge credit and because of this the monthly payment has been reduced from £44 to £17"
  • bluewirebluewire Forumite
    182 Posts
    Hi,
    ventriloquist, you are looking at this the wrong way.

The new bill is showing that the usage has gone down not up so no leak.

illuminate, you need to check your meter to make sure that they have read it correctly.

(They could have been putting in a read of 5500 but added 5000 in error)

If you can not read the meter call the water comp and ask them to send someone out and to reset your DD until you are sure that the read is correct.

If you just leave this and thing that you have extra cash each month you will be in for a shock in 12 months time when they re-set the DD again.
  • Bluewire is correct.
    It is probably an estimated bill that is way off or a misread.
    Your water meter may be easy to access but the water company may simply not have been out to read it this time.
    Water companies try to get actual readings at least once a year.
    I would take a reading yourself and call them, ask to be re billed if your reading is any different to the reading they have on record.
    Dont forget to re set the payment plan aswell.
    Helping people lower there water usage and water bills

Type Headsabovewater into you search engin for more help.
  • Opps. Sorry.

But the second half of my reply is still correct though - Direct debit and meter reading etc.
    I used to be part of the water industry. If you need any advice, feel free to ask me :A
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals