PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council tax refund

We moved into our home a few years back, and as the previous owner had extended it, the Valuation office came and revalued the house for council tax purposes. As a result, the property moved up a band. Not happy, but what can you do?

We recently reviewed all local properties of similar specification to our own using the www.voa.gov.uk website. We were able to see that better properties than ours were valued in a lower tax band, and that we were obviously in the wrong league. We wrote to the VOA asking how to challenge our assessment of some years back. In short, the answer was that we couldn't do this, however they did agree to come out and re-value the property again.

The valuation chap arrived, took a look around, and advised that if we wished them to take anything specific into account then we should do so in writing and it would be considered with the re-valuation. We wrote explaining the comparative specification and valuation of a property 2 doors away, which is a lesser band but more extensive property than ours.

Top result, they dropped our property band down a level. Even better, they made it effective from the day we moved into our house. We've now received £1800 in refunded council tax and are awaiting the results of asking for a Water Rates refund. :beer:

If you think your property is wrongly rated, give it a try, but do your homework using their website and local knowledge of comparable properties. Be careful though - you must ensure that your property is over rated - you don't want to be reassessed and find that your rating goes up - that'll hurt! :eek:

Comments

• sjw7_2
    sjw7_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    good stuff. How does this work? I have just had a look and a house two doors away that is similar in size to mine is two bands below ours. The site doesnt give that house an effective date though wich seems strange.
  • KevIrving
    KevIrving Posts: 5 Forumite
    You could be onto a winner, if there is no 'effective from' date then the property hasn't been re-valued, so is probably with its original valuation and condition. This property will likely be a good baseline to compare yours with, my situation was similar- I was able to put up a case based upon an unextended property with original valuation, and compare how my property was not as good as this one, even though work has been done on mine. Properties with a blue 'i' next to them are up for re-valuation when the owner changes - these are bad ones to compare with as they've probably been extended in some way, and will probably go up.

Good luck.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Would be grateful for a bit more info on your case - VOA office etc.

I recently discovered that the (identically built) house next door, which has had several owners and has been extended in the time I have been in my house is one band lower than me, a house opposite of similar size but with much bigger grounds is THREE bands lower than me.
    I wrote to my local VOA Office (Swindon) who basically quoted the "6 month" rule at me and said "tough".
    I am actually in the process of writing back to them, if I could refer to a precedent that could help my cause no end.
    I estimate that I could have paid more than £2000 than the house next door (£254 this year alone) since Council Tax was introduced, I am NOT amused.
  • littld
    littld Posts: 122 Forumite
    Just managed to get a comparison from the website, which is interesting.

I am in C band, whereas most in the street are B.

My house does have an extension to the kitchen downstairs, but the same number of bedrooms. I figure the valuation would be pretty much the same as the other houses in the street.

Is it based on comparative valuation, number of rooms or on square footage?
  • KevIrving
    KevIrving Posts: 5 Forumite
    Littld: I'm not sure how they go about assessing a valuation, certainly they measure the floor area, I'm not sure whether they take into account number of rooms, use of rooms, or general condition. You should certainly check out the other properties if you're able to determine whether they have a similar size extension as yours.

Moonrakerz: I obviously wish to keep some anonimity from the net so can't give you further details of my specific case - but we're not Swindon if this helps. Yes - we were told the out of time excuse too - perhaps try asking them directly for a new valuation survey, rather than appeal - that was the basis of our claim - we were years out of appeal time. When checking nearby properties - do ensure the ones you're comparing to do not have the blue 'i' symbol indicating a re-evaluation is due.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    I was told a year after I had moved in I could not complain because it should of been done in the first 6 months of me moving in.
    Now 12 years plus I complained to the council and asked for the telephone number of their valuation office. I called them voiced my concerns and they came out and revalued my property, lowered my banding and back dated it to the April 1993 when the council tax banding was introduced.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • bunking_off
    bunking_off Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    I appealed and lost and was completely demoralised by the process (they simply had to find 3 properties in the same band of equivalent size that had sold within the relevant bands back in 1990 - ok, apart from the ones they chose were at the posh end of town and one of them had patently been bought by a mug who'd paid 30% more than the market rate at the time). I'm left with a house which is a band higher than the rest of the 100+ house estate that I live on...the perils of housebuilders tending to do mixed developments rather than 100 identical houses as in the past.

However, others have clearly succeeded so it's clearly a roll of the dice issue. It costs nothing, so go for it!
    I really must stop loafing and get back to work...
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Further to my post of 01/03. I wrote back to my local VOA and appealed against his decision (6 month rule -too late !).
    I have received a much more hopeful response this time, a form to fill in for an appeal to the valuation tribunal.
    Hope yet !
  • smartie1976
    smartie1976 Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Result for me - just had a reply back this AM confirming I am indeed in the wrong band and being reduced (the entire rest of the street is an A, whereas i'm a B).

I didn't phone anyone, I just e-mailed VOA and they passed my case to the local council.

If you are not getting any joy with VOA, contact council directly, although I found VOA customer service team extremely helpful (Jacky Sargent).

For anyone needing a contact at MANCHESTER VOA office please PM me and I can provide you with the Customer Services Managers e-mail.
    It's BOUGHT (to Buy), not BROUGHT (to bring) AND you cannot be frauded, only DEfrauded.

Please do not buy animals from a pet store. Visit your local sanctuary or centre and give a good home to an unloved or abandoned animal.
  • Nice one, Smartie1976. If they back dated the evaluation to the properties last re-banding, make sure the council give you a refund of the overpaid tax. If you're unsure of the date,the VOA website will show this; you'll see both your original banding and your new one effective from the same date. :dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure