travelling to Malta by train

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
15 replies 1.3K views
karenb9911karenb9911 Forumite
6 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Hi does any one know if the trains through France and Italy are wheel chair friendly as we are taking our 2 elderly mothers to malta by train and would like to be able to make sure that they are accommodated. Thankyou in anticipation.

Replies

• lynnexxxolynnexxxo Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Malta by TRAIN???

Isn't that a bit of a long journey for two eldery ladies in wheelchairs?

I know that the ferry from Sicily to Malta is often a rough crossing too.

Can you not fly?
  • BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a great train journey down through Italy on the sleeper, leave St Pancras one day, arrive in Southern Italy middle of the next day refreshed and well fed.

But those carriages didn't look too wheelchair-friendly, see http://www.seat61.com/Europe.htm#special needs
  • Before we go any further, how do you intend to travel? Is cost an issue? Or are you simply looking for the best way by train, regardless of cost? Obviously you will want to pay as little as possible - but do you want to travel by high speed trains, or do you want to travel cheaper than that?
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Before we go any further, how do you intend to travel? Is cost an issue?
    I think they intend to travel by train.

If cost was an issue, they would fly EasyRyan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    If it's still in existance I would fly Malta Movement .We used to travel to Malta quite a bit when my husband was alive and for a small yearly fee we got greatly reduced air fares.
  • Thank you for all your comments. We intend to travel by train as one of them is not able to fly. We are going to take them back to where they served in the WRNS, they are looking forward to it so we are trying to organiose it in as pleasurable a way as we can.We have used Euro Star before but only to France, it was very well equipped with good service but didn't know about the rest of the route. Its one of those '1000 things to do before you die'!! they are very brave.
  • We have travelled through Italy on the train,and it was fine,but we were all able bodied and reasonably young,and it was packed,with little luggage room,and a bit of a scrum to find your seats(reservations are needed).

So my suggestions would be don't travel at weekend but go mid week when it is quieter, and contact Trenitalia beforehand and explain that your parents have special needs. Their website is available in English. I would expect the French rail system has a similar site,but we havent used them so I cant comment on them. Good luck!
  • Bankrupt yes, irresponsible? In my humble opinion, no. Unfortunately, although you always think you're right, you are in fact, not.

There was a time in the beginning I was thoroughly ashamed of myself for being declared Bankrupt. But then considering it was due to my being diagnosed with a terminal illness, confined to hospital for months at a time and unable to physically get out there and work, losing my business and ultimately our family home.

Yes i was declared Bankrupt but in the months leading up to the closure of my business I made sure none of my customers lost a penny but unfortunately the banks did. Not a great deal but enough for them to file for Bankruptcy.

I know such a soul-less being like you will have absolutely no interest in what I have written but you are quick enough to judge people and never give the chance for them to respond as you infuriate them so much.

I would respectfully ask you do not disect reply to this message at all, let alone in your usual rude, sarcastic and hateful manner that you have done so well to perfect.

I just ask that you give people a little more understanding, support? (after all that is was this site was set up for) and perhaps even a little compassion occasionally.

It is a tough world out there and more so at the moment for people in this country as well as many others. Tempers are short and feelings are frayed and people like you madam seem to be thriving on the whole situation by simply abusing and insulting peopl.

Apologies in advance for any spelling, punctuation or grammar mistakes. I know how you like to mock anyone you feel may be less intelligent than yourself.

When I joined this site I used the name 'gettingthere slowly'. I think I may have 'got there' with your help. For whatever I may have done or mistakes I may have made in my life, or whatever may hve befallen me I am proud to say I am a far far better person than you will ever dream of being.

Thank you.

Just goes to show that it is unwise to judge, lest ye be judged,and there but for the Grace of God go all of us. Platitudes,but trueisms.
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    poet123 wrote: »
    So my suggestions would be don't travel at weekend but go mid week when it is quieter, and contact Trenitalia beforehand and explain that your parents have special needs. Their website is available in English.
    Trenitalia's website does have an English version but if you need more help via the phone their English can be poor, plus they will tell you they can only accept Italian credit cards.

For a very helpful service when booking and making phone enquiries, use RailEurope.co.uk for the whole journey. I found them to be friendly and helpful and to take as much time as you need to go through the options. I believe there's a £6 booking fee.
  • I agree Rail Europe has a useful site. However, I have booked via Trenitalia using a UK visa card.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides