HELP! Decision time - I can stay with oil or go LPG - but i need to decide now!

Hi all

I had oil but im having work done at home and was planning to go LPG but initial investigations have scared me!!

I was / am on verge of saying yes to Calor to give me tank for underground (2000ltrs i think it is) - at a price of around £500 with ppl at 38.9 and standing charge of 24.57 per day.... agreement for 2yrs.

Is this ok?

Some of my main questions

1. On the contract it says I am liable for costs for taking out their tank etc but I understand the new law says something regard that the existing supplier has to (is that right?) sell the tank to the new supplier - but at what cost (is it fixed? and if not then they could price it out of market so no one wants to take over?) Surely with such small number of big suppliers the big boys could (agree among themselves to) keep prices high for ppl? and then perhaps sell the tank only at v high prices to small independents who might be competitive on ppl but who would not take on the tank cost?

I want some certainty over what happens at end of 2yrs - regard my freedom to choose another supplier at that time and costs

2. Should i do a 2 yr contract? If not might they put up my £500 cost for the tank?

3. Is 38.9 competitive and is this fixed for 2 yrs? should it be fixed?

4. What should I make sure i get in the contract?

5. is there a reason for me to wait til April to do the contract?

6. My old oil boiler needs changing anyway and the old oil tank is 'in the way' so going underground with LPG is generally a good idea - but do folk think i should stay with oil? why?

Sorry for such basic questions but im so confused - and FREEZING RIGHT NOW TOO as ive disconnected the oil and took out the boiler - and just delayed the digger coming in to dig my pit!! (until someone helps me with the questions!!)

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Just to throw another idea your way -

Air Source Heat Pump. I have one now and never look back! No oil / gas required, just an electricity supply. Very cheap to run and very reliable. Can be rigged up to your existing rads & water tank using the existing plumbing and some small modifications.
  • ezste
    ezste Posts: 4 Newbie
    thanks Andy - but I think a 3rd option would really blow my brains -

I do appreciate your help but I have everyone 'on hold' regarding digging etc so Id rather keep it to the 2 main options of oil or LPG...

I am hoping i can find an easy painless route forward with lpg (as it suits and im 1/4 way there and ready) but i just want someone to let me know if im doing something daft re the the terms and conditions and whether there are some must knows or must include that i need to be aware of -

thanks again!
  • Well 2 things to check.
    I am not sure if underground tanks are covered by the new supplier taking over your tank rules, so read up on that carefully and let us know.

Who can tell where prices will go whan the new lpg supplier rules come into force, but oil is around 30p per litre at the moment and gives slightly more kw per litre than lpg.
    So, if you are looking for lowest cost, it isn't lpg right now.

Obviously the hidden tank is nice, and you have to decide what price you are prepared to value that at.
  • are oil boilers not bulky though, and v noisy (plus a little more costly) although 1 & 2 are more concerning than the cost alone
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Personally i would avoid the big four, Shell, calor, BP and Flowgas. Due to the new rules coming in to force next month, changing companies is now much easier. I pay 30p with no rental charge and no standing charge from a local company with no contract.
  • I replaced my oil boiler 18mths ago and went from a loud roar to a barley audible hum. Boiler lives in the garage so noise was not an issue with me. Definatley a lot more economical to run than the old one. Size wise its as big as a compact dishwasher.
  • ezste
    ezste Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thanks Guys

I think the size of the boiler is still putting me off as I dont have somewhere to put such a large boiler - our garage is detached from the house

Also - surely LPG is seen as a more modern way forward? (or not?)
    and so it would be a better 'investment' into the house to just get this done?

My 3rd main point is that the deal im looking at with calor is a fixed price of 38.9 for 2yrs - wouldnt i be better off with a variable price? will they agree to this?

Cheers
  • david29dpo wrote: »
    Personally i would avoid the big four, Shell, calor, BP and Flowgas. Due to the new rules coming in to force next month, changing companies is now much easier. I pay 30p with no rental charge and no standing charge from a local company with no contract.

Hello David, we live quite local to you, I would be very interested to hear where I can buy LPG at 30p/ltr. Is this the current price? Regards, Alma.
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
  • Hello ezste,

I think you would need to investigate the small print regarding the price you will actually pay for your gas.
    The price quoted may be 38.9, but I am sure of read of comments on this forum, where the supplier uses the small print to increase that price on delivery.

I probably pay over the odds, but I have 4x 47kg bottles.
    2 bottles last me 4 weeks, and cost £76.
    I like the convenience of the bottles, and I don't have to shell out large amounts all at once. I'm heating a 3 bed 1950's house, so I don't think it's too bad.

Does anyone know how to compare the price I pay for my 47kg bottles to the bulk price per litre??

Regards
    Munchie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family