Capital One - Abuse and Threatening on the Phone!!

Options
My other half just got a call from an American representative of Capital One, who just asked her if she 'want me to send the ballifs round to collect the money, because I can, and I will.'

Surely they cant say that over the phone!!

Firstly she asked how much money she earned a month, and when she was asked to wait a moment while my Girlfriend calculated it, she responded with 'HELLO... HOW MUCH ARE YOU EARNING A MONTH? Its not a hard question. Surely you must know that.'

The conversation continued with questions about her currentl lifestyle and whether she is employed or not, and she even threatened to get her into trouble with the Debt Collection agency if she didnt pay a sum of £15 right now, then every month thereafter, at which point my Girlfriend responded with comments about the Operators tone of voice, attitude and scare-mongering.

I cant remember if she said she owed £250 or £300, but the account is now stopped, and the repayments are due. She agreed that £5 was an acceptable amount to pay per month, but stated she was going to send it to the Agency anyway.

How anyone can expect to have any sort of repayment be made with that kind of attitude is beyond me!!

Comments

• PROLIANT
    PROLIANT Posts: 6,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have been a victim of bully-boy tactic from Capital One Bank, first of all lets get one thing straight here - they can't send bailiffs to your home as the debt is unsecured, so all they can do is threaten you and use scaremonger tactics to get money from you, write in to Capital One in the UK and explain that you are willing to repay the debt at your affordable amount each month and can any further correspondence be in writing only, no pestering nasty phone calls.
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
  • Mozette
    Mozette Posts: 2,247 Forumite
    Options
    If anyone - regardless of whether I owed them money - spoke to me like that, they'd get a polite "f*** off" and the phone put down!
  • chris-j
    chris-j Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Is she sure it was Capital One:confused:
  • he6rt6gr6m
    he6rt6gr6m Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was. They phone about 5 Times a day. And Id even resorted to saying 'stop calling me, we have split up.'

It stopped for a week, then they started again.

Is there any guarantee that they will stop calling if you request all future contact in writing? That would be music to my ears. Might not be to hers, but at least the phone wont be ringing all day. :)

Thanks for the replies.
  • davethorp
    davethorp Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fire one of these off to them
    Dear Sirs
    Harassment by telephone

Account Number: XXXXXXX
    I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.
    I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)
    I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.
    I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.
    If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.
    Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded. (**Even if you don‘t yet have recording equipment!!**)

Yours faithfully,

[NAME HERE]
  • churchrat
    churchrat Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    The other thing you can do, if you don't want to get called barred or change you phone number, is to tell them that you are recording the conversation, even if you are not. Just tell them that you are doing so, and say that any such calls will be used in a complaint that is currently being compiled.
    Or--before you answer any security questions or confirm your identity, tell them that you have had a problem with identity fraud (most people have? don't they?) and say you will not proceed without them asnwering your secuirity questions so that you can confirm thier identity. For example, you could ask them how much is the debt for? all and full names on the agreement, including dates of birth, that sort of thing. Of course, they should not give that info over the phone, and if they do just say that you are not the person they are looking for.

All of this is academic, becourse you have no need to talk to them on the phone at all. They may tell you that you HAVE to, or say that they are a phone-only bank, but that is rubbish.
    good luck and don't be bullied and don't enter into aphone conversation.
    LBM-2003ish
    Owed £61k and £60ish mortgage
    2010 owe £00.00 and £20K mortgage:D
    2011 £9000 mortgage
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would it not be easier and save you a lot of hassle and interest charges to pay off the balance?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Jemma-T
    Jemma-T Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Options
    Put the phone DOWN! You are not obliged to answer the phone. Get caller display, change your number or whatever it takes.

As for your question the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 may apply against their UK end.

Best thing is to stop speaking to them if they're upsetting you. That's easy.
  • lesley1960
    lesley1960 Posts: 976 Forumite
    Options
    PROLIANT wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you have been a victim of bully-boy tactic from Capital One Bank, first of all lets get one thing straight here - they can't send bailiffs to your home as the debt is unsecured, so all they can do is threaten you and use scaremonger tactics to get money from you, write in to Capital One in the UK and explain that you are willing to repay the debt at your affordable amount each month and can any further correspondence be in writing only, no pestering nasty phone calls.

That isnt correct , they could send send baliffs round if they had a ccj in place and if you default on it , even if the debt isnt secured
  • looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    Would it not be easier and save you a lot of hassle and interest charges to pay off the balance?
    I would assume that the reason the OP's girlfriend hasn't paid off the balance is because she hasn't got the money to do so. Other wise I'm sure the OP wouldn't be here asking for advice on how to stop threatening phone calls.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure