We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

O/T 'recognised' religion and the workplace

Options
Hi all,

I have started a new job and the office seems to be a bit 'by the book'. I must admit I am struggling a bit with the strict do or die attitude as my last job (which was the same work) was a lot more liberal.
I was brought in to the managers office as I was 'caught' (their words) out on a back landing doing a yoga type ritual and spiritual religious mantra during my lunch hour.

Now in my last job no one batted an eyelid (there was always a disused office/meeting room and my co-workers were happy for me to use) but here there is only the break room which is too small and the whole building uses the room (and who wants to watch someone chanting and doing a spiritual routine while snaffling their sandwiches?)

So the very large landing off the stairwell seemed ideal. I was out the way without being remote and i was in no way in danger of falling down the stairs (just in case you were wandering) please note the company are not customer facing so there would be no chance of visitors or the public using this ingress or egress from the building

Well I had a bizarre talk with the manager who seemed to think that as the religion I was practising is not a 'recognised' religion that they will not make allowances for me and i am to desist immediately, spouted all this hooharr about health and safety and i was doing an exercise routine and as such they could not condone or permit me to continue.

I was a little dumbstruck to be honest.

My religion is that, mine. i have no formal church and i have no set beliefs. Every day i take half an hour to do a routine that i would say is a fusion of tai chi and yoga to meditate and thank the powers that be. I work three jobs so this is the only available time for my to take a moment out.
No other job has had issue with this as its my lunch and my time.

Is this standard? or have i just been lucky before?

Many thanks

T
Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder what they mean by 'recognised religion' - recognised by who? In fact the law makes it an offence to discrimnate on the grounds of religion or belief. This is a link to the ACAS website whch also gives links to other resources.
    http://www.acas.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1856

I don't think they have contravened the law, but as the website points out, its good practice to take people's beliefs into account.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Tell them you are Muslim, demand a special room to pray in 4 times a day - bosh; a privacy room all for yourself
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ummm.....Would i not have to demonstrate a form of acceptance to that religion for example a letter from my pastor or cleric?

I will assume, as they have given me the feeling that i have been most obstructionist by not just 'taking my religion outside' as requested (it was raining BTW :) or i would have considered it) that they will not be thinking of offering me a room.

I was also made to feel that if i pushed the matter they would raise it as a full blown health and safety issue - could they demand i stop for this reason?

Thank you for your kind assistance.. i will also check out the link.

T
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • Tygermoth
    Options
    tried to call acas, they are permanently engaged.
  • msflowerfairy
    Options
    Tell them you are a Jedi, and you need space to practise your light sabre moves.

http://www.jedichurch.org/

I am sure i read somewhere that it was a recongnised religion, but with no mentor how can you provide evidence, and why the hell should you.
    Sounds a bit old boys school to me, and needs nipping in the bud.
  • Tygermoth
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Looked at the Jedi Church and though I would like to storm in there and demand special treatment as I am a Muslim/Jedi (or for even more impact a Muslim Jedi?! :D) i feel this should not be necessary.

I dont actually NEED special treatment I was quite happy doing my own thing in my little disused landing and i don't see why they felt the need to come in all guns ablazing yipping about H&S and 'Recognised Religions'

As stated before i have worked at three companies now who have just let me get on with it with no cause for concern or comment.

mmmm Its starting to annoy me now.
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    is there any danger of people tripping over you, or of you being at risk of not being evactuated in the event of a fire?
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • nzmegs
    nzmegs Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    I am intrigued by your religion - beign aetheist myself I can say that I would have no objection to anyone being able to practise their beliefs in their own time.
    it sounds to me that they are a bit spooked out by it. Too weird and all that! Some people can't cope with something different. they probably think you are part of some strange cult and will soon start recruiting.
    As the weather improves I guess you can go outside somewhere nice and quiet, but you shouldn't have to. I would just carry on as I doubt they could sack you for this "offence"
  • grace1990
    grace1990 Posts: 310 Forumite
    Options
    I think you should have asked your manager, rather than assume it was ok.
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to work for an NGO and there was a special prayer room (just a set aside empty office) open to staff. AFAIK it was open to anyone and it could be used at any time - quite a few members of staff used it as a quiet room when they needed a break and it was never an issue who was in there and what they were doing. I personally can't see why what you're doing is an issue - it bothers no-one and you were doing it on your own time. I also once applied to work for a company that had daily yoga and provided a space for that, so I can't see 'exercise' being an issue either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport