🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

E.on Charges

Options
Hello all,

I have just check my gas and elec bills :eek: only to find that I am £370 in credit!! :money::money:

But before I give my self a pat on the back I checked the payment history ;) and found E.on are still taking £60 a month from my bank account :mad::huh::naughty:
So thats £180 per quarter I am paying but only using about £100 in gas and elec! :T

So I called E.on who said that they have to take a payment every month so I don't get in to the position where I owe them money, but when I explained that I wasn't using that much the chappy on the end of the phone couldn't get rid of me quick enough!

Surely I could ask to stop the payments until my account was back to £0?

any help or advise please? :confused:

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You should be able to get your monthly payments reduced to reflect more accurately your consumption.
    They probably won't stop collecting in total, but should be able to temporarily lower your collection amounts by a little bit more until you've lowered your credit built up.

Or just ask them to refund you the £370 credit and lower your collections to match your consumption.

Better still, use the comparison sites above to check you are on the best deal. If it suggests a bigger saving would be made with an alternative supplier, switch to make those savings and you'll get the £370 credit back too on account closure. :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Nigella_2
    Nigella_2 Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe you should wait until you have had your Spring bill and then ask for a refund.
    trnsp.gif Answer [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]On occasions the supplier will not refund the consumer. This could be due to the fact that the refund is requested in the summer months, as the whole point of the direct debit scheme is to even out payments so that people do not have high winter bills[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The consumer should in theory build up a credit over the summer months but this should then go towards the higher bills in winter. If the supplier were to refund then this could cause the consumer to go into debt in the winter months
    [/FONT]
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi NorhternMonkey,

I wouldn't cancel the Direct Debit as you will lose your discount and may not be eligible for your current tariff.

But I would definitely ask for the payments to be re-calculated and maybe even a refund for part of the credit.

Make sure you leave enough on for your next bill :) and check your latest bill is billed to accurate meter readings.

Hope this helps.

Helena :)
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The call takers on the phone initially are just trying to fob you off to get through as many calls as possible.
    When I had a problem with a high direct debit I complained in writing and finally got through to the actual customer complaints dept who were prepared to listen to my points about consumption and we agreed a figure acceptable to us both.

You can try writing or phone again to see if you can get someone a bit more use (or if required a manager). I would have thought if you point out that you are so far in credit AFTER the most expensive quarter of the year they should agree a lower DD and/or a refund of the credit, but you will probably have to push it. These companies are desparately trying to grab as much cash as they can.
    Have a look at the LOOOONNNGGG thread about high DDs on this section of the forum.
    If you cancel the DD depending on your current tariff they may push up your charges (some are dependant on being a DD payer).
    Good Luck
    ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a similar thing, was £200 in credit with Eon, asked them if I could have th emoney they said no, my winter bill would cover it. Got winter bill last month which has taken me down to £126 in credit and so they reduced my monthly bill by.....
    £8!
    WoW!
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport