NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

No water bill yet.

in Water Bills
10 replies 2.2K views
whistwhist Forumite
93 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi,

I moved into a new property in September 2005 and I am yet to receive a water bill . Not even one addressed to "the ocuppier" or previous owner.

Should i stay shtumph?

Usually with other utilities, they start hounding you as soon as you move in but it's been very quiet on the water front.

Replies

• DJ1UKDJ1UK Forumite
    351 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Whereabouts do you live? Which water company supplies you?

If it is a newly built property, the water company may not know that you exist yet - but will soon. They get a list of newly built properties from the builders.

If it isn't a new property - its best to let them know when you moved in. If they have a date the previous occupier moved out - they probably have the property down as empty and can legally cut off the water supply to prevent leaks etc (though they should let you know that they're going to do this by letter first).

My regional water company bills April - March, so you will probably get a new yearly bill soon anyway!

DJ
  • cattiecattie Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I lived in my house for over 18months before I received a water bill. I did phone them up after nearly a year (Thames Water) & was told I should soon get a bill as the meters were due to be read in the next few weeks.

Time went by & it didn't arrive so I phoned again & was told that the meter reader had obviously overlooked reading my meter this time round, so it would be a few more months before I'd be getting a bill.

When I explained I was worried about the bill being enormous, the advisor told me as it was their error I'd probably be able to pay the bill in 3 seperate payments should it be too much for me.

As it was I was given an indication of what my approximate usage was likely to be & how much I'd likely be billed for after 18 months. As it happens it wasn't as scary as I feared & I paid in 2 installments.

Now the bills come every 6 months as they should.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    whist wrote:
    Hi,

I moved into a new property in September 2005 and I am yet to receive a water bill . Not even one addressed to "the ocuppier" or previous owner.

Should i stay shtumph?

Usually with other utilities, they start hounding you as soon as you move in but it's been very quiet on the water front.

Have you told the water co you have moved in ?
  • whistwhist Forumite
    93 Posts
    Forumite
    I live in Beckenham, Kent. The property is almost 50 years old .

I haven't told "them" that I have moved because I dont know which company supplies water. SHouldn't they check these things?

Since, I'll have to pay the money in the end , I'll have to let someone know but who?
  • get in touch with your council tax people. They should know. You could ask your neighbour
  • DJ1UKDJ1UK Forumite
    351 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    The easiest way to find out who your water supplier is, is to ask a neighbour. I would guess either Southern Water or Mid Kent water. Contact details at...

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/aptrix/ofwat/publish.nsf/Content/watercompanyaddresstelephone

Also the quicker you own up to living there, the longer you have to pay off an arrears since you've moved in.

DJ
  • cattiecattie Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you live in Beckenham then your supplier is most likely Thames Water. Give them a ring & they will soon let you know.

I'm assuming as you haven't already contacted them, that you will pay water rates rates rather than have a meter? Only if you do have a meter then you should always take a reading when you first move in if possible, otherwise you could be charged for the previous occupiers usage.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    whist wrote:

I haven't told "them" that I have moved because I dont know which company supplies water. SHouldn't they check these things?

No its you that has to contact the water company they arnt mindreaders and dont know when people move into properties unless you tell them !
  • whistwhist Forumite
    93 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone, looks like I'm with Thames Water since I'm in the London Borough of Bromley.

I've sent them an email, so I'll have to wait. Hope my bill is not too high.
  • AvrillaAvrilla Forumite
    4 Posts
    If I were you I would let the Water Company know ASAP or you may end up with a MASSIVE bill that will be back-dated to when you 1st moved in. It is your responsibility to let them know and at least you can arrange a managable payment plan from the start.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum