Icesave ISA into HSBC e-ISA?

Options
Hi there,

My brother is an Icesave veteran & has his ISA reinstatement certificate for approx £5,000. The money is currently in his HSBC current account.

I'm looking for the quickest simplest way he can open an ISA & transfer that £5K into it before the 5th April 2009 deadline & the HSBC e-ISA looks a reasonable candidate.

Quick questions:

- Anyone done this?

- Is it deffo allowed? I can see that the HSBC e-ISA allows transfers in but haven't found any detailed info on any limits they may have or whether transferring from an ex-Icesave account is OK.

- Any ideas what he'll need to do to get this done? I understand that the account must be opened online but obviously they need to be presented with his Icesave cert - not too certain how that occurs or whether it's going to be an issue beating the deadline?

- Finally - he'd only used up about £1800 of his 2008-2009 allowance. Can he do the above AND pay in the rest of his 2008-2009 balance to HSBC before 5th April?

very many thanks if anyone can help.

cheers
Fella

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Fella wrote: »
    Quick questions:

- Is it deffo allowed? I can see that the HSBC e-ISA allows transfers in but haven't found any detailed info on any limits they may have or whether transferring from an ex-Icesave account is OK.
    Thansfers from a former Icesave ISA are the same as any other transfer, except that he'll have to present the Icesave/FSCS ISA certificate and can transfer up to the amount shown on that certificate.

The HSBC rate is pretty poor - if he can make do with up to 4 withdrawals, he could open the Halifax ISA Saver Direct Reward (3% fixed for 12 months & additional deposits permitted) and carry out the transfer in branch straight away with at most a couple of pieces of ID.
    - Finally - he'd only used up about £1800 of his 2008-2009 allowance. Can he do the above AND pay in the rest of his 2008-2009 balance to HSBC before 5th April?
    Don't know about the HSBC one specifically but yes, the HMRC rules certainly permit this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure