Time limited fixed rate issues

Options
Are all fixed rate ISAs time limited? I suspect the answer is yes.

I have about 8k to transfer to a cash ISA. I'm interested in a one-year fixed rate. I started applying for the Birmingham Midshires one but got cold feet when it said that if the issue had closed by the time they received my money (from my existing provider) they would return the money.

My existing provider is Nationwide. Nuff said? (I went through hell and high water with them opening the ISA - most of which is posted in archives on here!) I know they're supposed to transfer funds within 30 days but I wouldn't trust NW to tie my shoelaces. They're useless.

I don't want to complicate things by risking having the money returned to NW (where I suspect it would end up in a black hole). I confirmed this with BM just now. Spoke to a very helpful person so I think it's a shame I can't risk going to them.

If they're all time limited then I guess I'll need to transfer it to a variable provider. Any comments?

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Halifax guarantee their rate (3% guaranteed for 12 months from receipt of funds) for 60 days from application, which should give NW more than enough time to effect the transfer - http://www.halifax.co.uk/savings/isa-direct-reward.asp
  • john_s_2
    john_s_2 Posts: 698 Forumite
    Options
    Aha! Thanks for that. I've got an old websaver with them so should speed up any ID issues as well.

As for 60 days being enough for NW... Well, as you say, it should be!
  • BruceyBonus
    BruceyBonus Posts: 1,142 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Halifax account also allows further deposits plus 4 withdrawals (so very flexible for a fixed rate account).
  • haribol_2
    haribol_2 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have been with BM for a year and had nothing but headaches just to set up a simple Cash ISA. I didn't even want to transfer from other ISA managers.

They are hopeless, communications really poor and nothing is done on time.

Even when you send them emails asking specific questions, the returns point you to FAQ's that don't answer your question.

I'll take my business elsewhere. In my books, they are a bunch of muffins.

I feel better now!!

Haribol
    I have learnt that providing excellence gets you what you deserve and not what you want !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure