How can I use CCTV?

Options
Hi all

I've been having trouble with local yobs, culminating in my front window being smashed a couple of weeks ago.

The Police seem powerless to do anything and I was thinking about getting CCTV.

I have heard different stories about what you can & can't do with cameras regarding where it's sited, etc.

Can anyone in the know give me some advice?

Thanks

Comments

• steady__eddie
    Options
    I am only in a position to offer some hearsay I'm afraid, one friend of mine was into fishponds in a big way and purchased quite expensive fish at a couple hundred quid each. In order to protect his possesions, he installed CCTV in his garden and connected it via electronic wizardry to a v.c.r.
    When the inevitable happened and he was burgled, he took his recording of the event to the police who came and had a look and then threatened to prosecute him because he had not displayed warnings that CCTV was in operation !
    No doubt someone else will be along shortly with more definitive knowledge, good luck.
  • dbuk44
    dbuk44 Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a non-expert on the subject, my guess is that the correct way to do this is to ensure that the CCTV camera does not pick up any images that are not within YOUR premises.

I know that CCTV is covered by the Data Protection Act. Section 36 states:

a) You are entitled to a CCTV system which monitors persons accessing YOUR premises

(b) You do not need to provide a notice saying that the person is entering a CCTV controlled area.

(c) You are not required to provide a copy of the footage you have captured to the Data Subject if they make a request.

HOWEVER, if that CCTV camera picks up images outside your premises , such as the entrance to your neighbour's premises or persons walking down 'Acacia Avenue', or you a business, then you have consider the implications of the Data Protection Act (Data retention, registration, notices etc).
    It is possible that in this instance CCTV usage could also be viewed as a possible infringement/invasion of privacy under the Human Rights Act 1998

Requirements of the Act

You display warning signs to show that CCTV cameras are recording
    You log all your recordings as well as who changes (video) tapes and when
    You label each tape
    You keep all your recorded tapes and video cassette recorders secure
    You register
    You notify the Information Commissioner at https://www.dataprotection.gov.uk or telephone 01625 545700, and pay a fee of £35.

BTW, CCTV footage stored on a standard PC is inadmissible as evidence in a court of law, it cannot be used as evidence. But there's no law against anyone doing this.
  • coolagarry
    coolagarry Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From a practical point of view remember that you need to be able to see what is on the picture so think about lighting and if you haven't bought the camera yet it would be a good idea to go for one that has a 'poor light' facility of some sort.
    I'm Glad to be here... At my age I'm glad to be anywhere!!
    I'm not losing my hair... I'm getting more head!!
  • MissG_2
    MissG_2 Posts: 869 Forumite
    Options
    coolagarry wrote:
    From a practical point of view remember that you need to be able to see what is on the picture so think about lighting and if you haven't bought the camera yet it would be a good idea to go for one that has a 'poor light' facility of some sort.

I had problems with kids in december who destroyed my fencing in the front garden which is on a public foot path. The police advised me to put a cctv camera in which i did along with a sensor light so it provides visibility at night on the camera. I would advise you to get a camera that is a very good quality, and in colour as just after we installed ours the kids came back and done more damage, as it wasn't that good a quality and it was in black and white it was not possible to identify anybody, it never happened again. If you get a sensor light get one that the sensor its adjustable in directions as a fixed one may not cover all the angles needed.

I hope things get sorted out as i know how it feels and i can say it isn't nice at all. I would love to know why people would want to cause so much worry, stress and in a way ruin quality of life to somebody.
    The best things in life are for FREE!!!
    If you like what you see and find this info useful, please use the thanks button. It costs nothing and means so much.
  • across
    across Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Options
    yep you need a light with it we have one over our front door as we had lots of yob problems(eggs,smashing windows twice,car vandelsm etc)and neighbour problems(pushing car back over our gate with theirs,shouting threatening abuse,spitting at us,etc) i dont know about all these regulations but we just did what the police told us they never mentioned any regulations!!!!!!!just told us to get a camera up so we did they even told us not to spend a lot just a cheap one will do the job so ours is from argos and i have had a few things caught on it!!!!!!!!including female neighbour mooning at it!without a light dont bother cos at night you wouldnt catch anything on it! best of luck and with the camera it does make you feel safer.
    things are a lot more peaceful now but the neighbours split up and went home!
  • zincoxide
    zincoxide Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

I've been having trouble with local yobs, culminating in my front window being smashed a couple of weeks ago.

The Police seem powerless to do anything and I was thinking about getting CCTV.

I have heard different stories about what you can & can't do with cameras regarding where it's sited, etc.

Can anyone in the know give me some advice?

Thanks

Check your private messages.
    Treat others as you would like to be treated :A
  • MissG_2
    Options
    across wrote:
    yep you need a light with it we have one over our front door as we had lots of yob problems(eggs,smashing windows twice,car vandelsm etc)and neighbour problems(pushing car back over our gate with theirs,shouting threatening abuse,spitting at us,etc) i dont know about all these regulations but we just did what the police told us they never mentioned any regulations!!!!!!!just told us to get a camera up so we did they even told us not to spend a lot just a cheap one will do the job so ours is from argos and i have had a few things caught on it!!!!!!!!including female neighbour mooning at it!without a light dont bother cos at night you wouldnt catch anything on it! best of luck and with the camera it does make you feel safer.
    things are a lot more peaceful now but the neighbours split up and went home!

The police told me to get a cheap one but you get what you pay for and it wasn't the best for identifying people. I got mine form B&Q it cost for about £40 The police didn't say about any regulations (i forgot to say in my original post)
    If you like what you see and find this info useful, please use the thanks button. It costs nothing and means so much.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Get one of the high pitch sirens that was on tv the other week, youngest hate them it sounds like a moscito.
  • MissG_2
    Options
    Poppycat wrote:
    Get one of the high pitch sirens that was on tv the other week, youngest hate them it sounds like a moscito.

Do you mean the one that was on This Morning? If it was i will be 21 in less than 3 weeks and i couldn't hear it :rolleyes:
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't no never watch that program, it was on news though. I did hear about it months ago on Radio 4.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure