First Direct cash e-ISA

Options
This ISA is fixed at 3.1% and yesterday it was possible to open one if you were a not a First Direct customer, but they've changed their web-site now and only First Direct customers can open them up for this tax year. Everyone else has to wait until 6th April for the next tax year.
Not yet a customer?

The cash e-ISA is currently only available to first direct customers for the 2008/2009 Tax Year.
You will be able to apply for the 2009/2010 Tax Year from 6 April 2009.
http://www.firstdirect.com/savings/cash-eisa-apply.shtml

Comments

• Sam37
    Sam37 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    It is probably because their processes are too slow to cope before 5th of April with new customers.

I applied online last weekend, just got the forms today, and was told they need to do identity checks and the like before the account could be opened. As it is an account strictly to be sorted out by 5 april I think that is pushing things a bit already.

As I'd also need to deposit by transfer (for which I'd need to request yet another form, and which would doubtlessly take another couple of weeks to complete).. I've abondonned the process (and have gone for the Halifax Reward almost as good as this one, plus also a fixed rate for next year's contributions).
  • MrBen_4
    MrBen_4 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I've had the some similar thoughts to you both. I have a regular saver with Halifax, so thought it would be easier to open the ISA direct reward with them rather than attempt anything with First Direct. I will be transferring a couple of years worth of Cash ISAs from HSBC... (their ISA rates have plummeted). Does anyone know if Halifax will charge anything to transfer the ISA amounts back out at a later date? I note they allow 4 withdrawels per year, which presumably I can do direct to my Halifax online saver a/c and then to my HSBC current a/c.
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    MrBen wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Halifax will charge anything to transfer the ISA amounts back out at a later date?
    A friend was informed earlier today that Halifax do not charge for ISA transfers but that other institutions may do so.

Personally, I have transferred Cash ISAs many times over the years and have yet to find any provider that makes a charge.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Baldur wrote: »
    A friend was informed earlier today that Halifax do not charge for ISA transfers but that other institutions may do so.

Personally, I have transferred Cash ISAs many times over the years and have yet to find any provider that makes a charge.
    Where they do, of course, it's nothing to transfer-in (or open from scratch) but a fee to move cash away (from memory Portman BS and Alliance and Leicester both had accounts of these types)
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • Baldur
    Options
    Milarky wrote: »
    Where they do, of course, it's nothing to transfer-in (or open from scratch) but a fee to move cash away (from memory Portman BS and Alliance and Leicester both had accounts of these types)
    I've transferred from A&L Direct Cash ISAs twice in the past few years and have not been charged or had a fee deducted in either case - maybe a different version of their product range?
  • favemuppet
    Options
    Sam37 wrote: »
    It is probably because their processes are too slow to cope before 5th of April with new customers.

I applied online last weekend, just got the forms today, and was told they need to do identity checks and the like before the account could be opened. As it is an account strictly to be sorted out by 5 april I think that is pushing things a bit already.

As I'd also need to deposit by transfer (for which I'd need to request yet another form, and which would doubtlessly take another couple of weeks to complete).. I've abondonned the process (and have gone for the Halifax Reward almost as good as this one, plus also a fixed rate for next year's contributions).

I need to deposit by transfer too. Applied online 3rd March. Got application form to sign on 10th. Account opened on 16th. But guess what....they have forgotten to send me the ISA transfer form which I had requested on the application form. Had to request again which may take another week, especially now that I am going away and will arrive when I am not here, so further delays etc etc. (perhaps should point out too that the application form says the account will not be opened until transfer monies received - but they've opened mine).

What I simply do not understand is why First Direct cannot make this form available on the website, when the majority of all other branch-based banks do!
  • Baldur
    Options
    favemuppet wrote: »
    I need to deposit by transfer too. Applied online 3rd March. Got application form to sign on 10th. Account opened on 16th. But guess what....they have forgotten to send me the ISA transfer form. Had to request again which may take another week, especially now that I am going away and will arrive when I am not here, so further delays etc etc.

What I simply do not understand is why First Direct cannot make this form available on the website, when the majority of all other branch-based banks do!
    A friend had this dilemma, forms received on Friday - decided to forget the FD application and apply in branch with Halifax yesterday - 3% fixed for 12 months, rather than 3.1% but at least Halifax completed the transfer form there & then and guarantee that the rate will apply for 60 days, to allow for transfers from other providers.
  • Sam37
    Sam37 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    favemuppet wrote: »
    I need to deposit by transfer too. Applied online 3rd March. Got application form to sign on 10th. Account opened on 16th.

So you are still within the 14 days to cancel, and go for another account. Which you could do straightaway as you have not paid anything in yet anyway,
  • Natti_A
    Natti_A Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    I have had to re-request my transfer form too.... everything else arrived in about 7 days. I left it another 2 weeks after this, just in case, and when i had to call up to sort out internet banking I asked if they had sent this documen out to me. As the phone operator was not sure, she said she would send a second "just in case".

It doesnt matter particularily, these things do take time, but i do think that the 0.6% difference berteen my ISA's counts when the rates are this low!
    Credit Card 6.9% - £0/£2800
    Graduate OD 19.9% - [STRIKE]£1000[/STRIKE] Paid off Sept 11 :beer:

Sealed Pot Challenger #598
    Pay off as much as you can 2012 #69
  • 7sefton
    7sefton Posts: 607 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one who was less than impressed with First Direct's offering-

I called their legendary call centre to ask if I could open an account simply wiyh transfers from previous tax years (like Halifax allow), and the patronising woman on the phone said no, because this 'would be like opening two ISAs in one year which us against the law'. Tried to explain this wasn't the case and Halifax allow it, after which she just said 'Well we won't do that'. Awkward pause, then a goodbye.

Halifax seem the better option all round, IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure