Basic Line Rental with BT, new bill

in Phones & TV
28 replies 4.8K views
Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
32.7K Posts
10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
I have just checked my BT bills online which I pay monthly by dd. One line had no calls on it so just line rental plus vat which came to £10.69, what happened to the £10.50? I know its only 19p but I would rather have the 19p in my pocket than BT :)

Anyway, my second line had £2.04 worth of calls on it as I have always made a point of using up my £2.15 worth of free calls that we had until 1 July. The £2.04 consisted of three calls all made in June.

I will write and complain and ask for a refund of these calls but wondered if anyone else had checked their bills and found the same?

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I may be wrong, but didn't that start from the beginning of July (the £10.50 line rental).

It will depend on when your billing date falls - you say you've just checked it which makes me think that the extra 19p is related to charges before the beginning of July.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reckon it's something like this.

£10.50 is per month, but some months have 28 days, some 30 and some 31.
    July has 31.

take 10.50 * 12 months / 366 (or 365) then * 31

i.e. you pay slightly more in July and less in February.

Just a theory.
    27.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW - my bill was out by a few pence as well.
    I think about 20p for 3 months.

I couldn't work it out, but I can't really be bothered to investigate because it will probably cost me more in phone calls/stamps.
  • SmartasssSmartasss Forumite
    873 Posts
    When they sent out the previous bills, (which included 3 months line rental in advance), they charged the old standard line rental.

This will have included a period after 1 July.

The bills being issued now have an adjustment included for the increase in rental which became due on 1 July, but wasn't charged for on the previous bill. (The rent went up £1 per month from 1 July, approx 3.3p/day, which is what they are now catching up on).
    27.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a bit confused by that.
    My bills are dated 1/1, 1/4, 1/7 and 1/10.

On 1/4 I would have paid from April, May and June, so surely this wouldn't have included anything after 1st July.

Am I misunderstanding something or are other peoples bills on different dates?

Confused ???
  • gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    BT have a bug in their billing system which means some people are being overcharged by a few pence if they are being moving from the BT Standard tariff to the Option 1 tariff.

See http://makeashorterlink.com/?P36012AE8 for some details on this

Regards
    Sunil
  • mrticklemrtickle Forumite
    187 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Thanks Sunil. I spotted this on my bill and I've been overcharged as well. Given that people over on uk.telecom have been getting refunds I will claim mine too.
  • I noticed the same niggly call charge on my last bill but I just got fed up with trying to get through to complain(deliberate deterrent?) and ended up paying it! This time I will challenge them - I know I should. They said quite clearly that standard rental was £10.50, with the free call allocation, when I changed tariff in January 2004. Luckily I wrote it on the bill when I rang them
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see BT cares about its customers
    (I've always thought TV adverts are a waste of time, that guy Clarkson should have stayed on Top Gear instead of fronting an ad for a bunch of thieves  :D)
  • mrticklemrtickle Forumite
    187 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    For reference, the figures from my bill. This is monthly, DD. The BT Price List says line rental is £26.80 ex VAT/£31.49 inc VAT per 1/4; £8.93 ex VAT/£10.50 inc VAT per month.

The bill says:

Package fees/line rental

Date/period
    Description
    Quantity
    Monthly charge
    Cost

1 Jul-31 Jul
    BT Together Option 1 - the hour plan

Sorry BT, but £8.93 does NOT equal £9.10. You didn't give me a discount for February, so I'm not paying extra in July!

This is a whopping 17p ex VAT/20p inc VAT overcharged - not a slight error by anyone's definition and surely worth making a fuss about. 20p x millions of customers is a LOT of money.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide