Basic Line Rental with BT, new bill

in Phones & TV
28 replies 4.8K views
Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
32.7K Posts
10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
I have just checked my BT bills online which I pay monthly by dd. One line had no calls on it so just line rental plus vat which came to £10.69, what happened to the £10.50? I know its only 19p but I would rather have the 19p in my pocket than BT :)

Anyway, my second line had £2.04 worth of calls on it as I have always made a point of using up my £2.15 worth of free calls that we had until 1 July. The £2.04 consisted of three calls all made in June.

I will write and complain and ask for a refund of these calls but wondered if anyone else had checked their bills and found the same?

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I may be wrong, but didn't that start from the beginning of July (the £10.50 line rental).

It will depend on when your billing date falls - you say you've just checked it which makes me think that the extra 19p is related to charges before the beginning of July.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reckon it's something like this.

£10.50 is per month, but some months have 28 days, some 30 and some 31.
    July has 31.

take 10.50 * 12 months / 366 (or 365) then * 31

i.e. you pay slightly more in July and less in February.

Just a theory.
    27.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW - my bill was out by a few pence as well.
    I think about 20p for 3 months.

I couldn't work it out, but I can't really be bothered to investigate because it will probably cost me more in phone calls/stamps.
  • SmartasssSmartasss Forumite
    873 Posts
    When they sent out the previous bills, (which included 3 months line rental in advance), they charged the old standard line rental.

This will have included a period after 1 July.

The bills being issued now have an adjustment included for the increase in rental which became due on 1 July, but wasn't charged for on the previous bill. (The rent went up £1 per month from 1 July, approx 3.3p/day, which is what they are now catching up on).
    27.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a bit confused by that.
    My bills are dated 1/1, 1/4, 1/7 and 1/10.

On 1/4 I would have paid from April, May and June, so surely this wouldn't have included anything after 1st July.

Am I misunderstanding something or are other peoples bills on different dates?

Confused ???
  • gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    BT have a bug in their billing system which means some people are being overcharged by a few pence if they are being moving from the BT Standard tariff to the Option 1 tariff.

See http://makeashorterlink.com/?P36012AE8 for some details on this

Regards
    Sunil
  • mrticklemrtickle Forumite
    187 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Thanks Sunil. I spotted this on my bill and I've been overcharged as well. Given that people over on uk.telecom have been getting refunds I will claim mine too.
  • I noticed the same niggly call charge on my last bill but I just got fed up with trying to get through to complain(deliberate deterrent?) and ended up paying it! This time I will challenge them - I know I should. They said quite clearly that standard rental was £10.50, with the free call allocation, when I changed tariff in January 2004. Luckily I wrote it on the bill when I rang them
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see BT cares about its customers
    (I've always thought TV adverts are a waste of time, that guy Clarkson should have stayed on Top Gear instead of fronting an ad for a bunch of thieves  :D)
  • mrticklemrtickle Forumite
    187 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    For reference, the figures from my bill. This is monthly, DD. The BT Price List says line rental is £26.80 ex VAT/£31.49 inc VAT per 1/4; £8.93 ex VAT/£10.50 inc VAT per month.

The bill says:

Package fees/line rental

Date/period
    Description
    Quantity
    Monthly charge
    Cost

1 Jul-31 Jul
    BT Together Option 1 - the hour plan

Sorry BT, but £8.93 does NOT equal £9.10. You didn't give me a discount for February, so I'm not paying extra in July!

This is a whopping 17p ex VAT/20p inc VAT overcharged - not a slight error by anyone's definition and surely worth making a fuss about. 20p x millions of customers is a LOT of money.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin's debt costs masterclass

Eg, balance transfer up to 35 mths at 0%

MSE News

£80 GHD Original IV Styler

Via MSE Blagged code (norm £109)

MSE Deals