Need help with sums!

Options
Would someone do the maths for me please?
I have a Skipton/Scarborough BS Cash Isa worth about £15000. Their interest is now 3%. My current account is with First Direct and they have an Regular Saver ISA at 7% for existing customers. If I open a First Direct one and deposit £300 pm would I get a better return than if I just put the £300pm into my BS account?
I have tried different online calculators and have an assortment of answers, so, how do they do it?

Thankyou

Bazjaq

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    £300 per month over a year @ 7% = roughly £135.09 interest
    £300 per month over a year @ 3% = roughly £58.24 interest
  • baz.jaq
    baz.jaq Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The £300pm going into the BS would be adding to the £15000 already in the account!

Bazjaq
  • Baldur
    Options
    baz.jaq wrote: »
    The £300pm going into the BS would be adding to the £15000 already in the account!
    It will still only earn the amount above - in either case, you will have the interest on the £15,000 plus the above approximate figures.
  • baz.jaq
    Options
    Thanks, it's a First Direct one for me then!

Bazjaq
  • alastair_h
    alastair_h Posts: 548 Forumite
    Options
    The First Direct Regular saver ISA, a couple of things to be aware of below. So if you don't have £1,500 going into the account pcm (or leave £1,500 sitting in there) then you have to pay £120 banking charges:-

http://www.firstdirect.com/savings/r...isa-faqs.shtml
    anything else I need to know?

For at least the first 12 months, you must hold a first direct 1st Account from which to make your monthly payments.
    Within the first 12 months, the monthly Banking Fee of £10 on our 1st Account will not be waived as a result of you having a Regular Saver ISA. Thereafter, for any month in which you hold the account, you will not have to pay the Banking Fee. The fee will, of course, be waived during the first 12 months if you meet any of the other Banking Fee waiver criteria.

http://www.firstdirect.com/1st-account/overview.shtml
    Is there a charge to bank with first direct?

Banking with first direct usually costs £10 a month, but it's free when you pay in at least £1,500 to your 1st Account each month, or maintain an average monthly 1st Account balance of £1,500 or hold a first direct mortgage (or a selected additional first direct product if your account was opened before 2 February 2009). See our full Terms and Conditions, and our rates and tariff.

I think the 7% equates to 3.8% over the year as you only have the full amount in for the last month.
    "Every Pounds A Prisoner "
    "Loyalty to the Best Interest Rate"

:beer:
  • baz.jaq
    Options
    (I think the 7% equates to 3.8% over the year as you only have the full amount in for the last month)

Thanks for this Alistair, my poorly worded question has been answered by this quote and I do have enough money going in per month so shouldn't incur charges.

However, as the year end percentage is only 3.8 I may just continue with my BS, but will check all cash ISA rates over the next few weeks.

Bazjaq
  • Baldur
    Options
    baz.jaq wrote: »
    (I think the 7% equates to 3.8% over the year as you only have the full amount in for the last month)
    What does the 3% equate to over the year, if you are similarly paying £300 per month into your Skipton ISA? Just over 1.5%, I suspect. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure