Refunds

Options
Hi i have 2 items of clothing to take back to 2 leading stores. However i have lost my debit card that i paid for these items on. My replacement card is not due for 5 days. How will the shop refund me as as i paid on my card they will not give me cash? Help

Comments

• missymugwump
    missymugwump Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Do you have the receipts ?
    If so ask for the manager explain your predicament and see if they will oblige
    They have to refund you in the manner you paid

If you have the receipt the card numbers will differ to your new card anyway
    But with the receipt you do have rights at least

If you don't have the receipt or a proof of purchase (bank statement,card statement) you have no rights but they may offer a credit note or gift voucher as a gesture of good will (at current selling price)
    "Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes." :cool:

All truth goes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Then, it is violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident.
  • Ivory_Tinkler
    Ivory_Tinkler Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    I think under some sort of banking rules a refund has to be made back to the card originally used to pay. I might be wrong but I was told this in a shop once.
  • CG19a
    CG19a Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    You may be able to get them to refund it to another card, ie credit card. The reason they usually refund to card only is due to VAT reasons. When the receipts used to say "2.5% of this transaction will be paid to card merchant services" it meant that you only paid VAT on 97.5%, so refunding the card meant that the right amount of VAT was refunded, or something like that anyway,
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

My understanding is that they will want to put it back onto the same card .. but will normally give cash .... also do you really think that they will check the card details to make sure that it is the same one?

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    That is, if they even have a refund policy and not just to offer an exchange or credit note...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• bookworm1363
    Options
    The debit card payment is not a payment to your card, but to your bank account, so wait for the new card and get it done then.
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    A merchant should only return it to the original card - a refund can be made to a closed card.

Its part of their agreements with the merchant services provider, and is in place due to VAT and anti fraud/money laundering reasons.

If you have the receipt their will be enough details for them to process the refund to your account.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    You will be fine, a debit card has the same long number on replacements, the issue and expiry and CCV number will change but i doubt they will bother checking that ,and if they do just explain as its going back to the same account as it came out of there should be no problem
  • jennyo
    jennyo Posts: 422 Forumite
    Options
    CG19a wrote: »
    You may be able to get them to refund it to another card, ie credit card. The reason they usually refund to card only is due to VAT reasons. When the receipts used to say "2.5% of this transaction will be paid to card merchant services" it meant that you only paid VAT on 97.5%, so refunding the card meant that the right amount of VAT was refunded, or something like that anyway,

I thought it was to stop people making purchases on a stolen card, then returning and trying to get a refund in cash, as someone did when they stole my C/C, luckily the store refunded on the card, I bet they were disappointed.
    Debt Free Dec 2009
    non-smoker 19th Nov 2010
    Trying to lose weight 40lb/42lb

• System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CG19a wrote: »

rubbish ! it is to combat money laundring/fraud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure