Window broken by school pupil.

Options
Hi everyone,
This is my first post so I hope I am doing it right, and I love the forum and read it everyday. I am hoping someone can help me with this problem please.
My upstairs double glazed window has been broken by someone at the school that overlooks my garden, The police have given me a crime # for it, but what I would like to know is, I have heard that schools have to by law have insurance for the pupils to cover these kinds of situations, but when I approached the headmaster he said in all his 25 years of teaching he has never known of it. The window will be about £150 and I have an excess of £100 on my insurance, I know my insurance will rocket next year if I claim.
If some really kind member has any answers for me I would be really really gratefull. Thank you in advance.:confused::confused: :j

Comments

• Art_2
    Art_2 Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    If a school paid out on any damage caused by pupils you can imagine the amount of claims they would get. If it isn't a regular problem you are going to have to put it down to being an accident and deal with it through your insurance.

Regards,
    Art.
  • lindos90
    lindos90 Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some education authorities/ local authorities do have somekind of insurance, I know someone who's windscreen was broken when the grass cutter flipped up a stone, however this was on school property at the time and was witnessed.

Do you know what actually broke the window? (eg a tennis ball with the schools name on) that may help to identify where it came from. Did anyone witness it? Is the school playground the only possible place it could have been done from?
  • Swans1912
    Swans1912 Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    Options
    I would THINK that the school are liable for replacing your window, imaging if the School was a business and as a result of a business activity your window was broken.... would the business be liable?

Do you have legal protection on your house insurance?
  • facetheglue
    Options
    Maybe you can ask the school to help find out who did it and get their parents to pay?
  • Vedder2008
    Vedder2008 Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the help so far, the window was broken maliciously by what is thought to be a stone or a catapult, my next door neighbour also had her patio door window broken a few days before mine and the school has the person on cctv and are asking the parents to foot the bill, the head said he wasn't surprised as this person is trouble, my next door neighbour doesn't hold out much hope of getting her money though,however the head hasnt got back to me yet on the results found [if any his words not mine] of the cameras findings.
    I don't have legal protection on my insurance and my excess is £100, but why should I claim for it when it will put my insurance up a lot next time.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    The school and/or LEA is liable, as the vandalism was carried out whilst the pupil was under their supervision.

Write to your MP and the school governors, copying the letter to your local newspaper.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Art_2
    Art_2 Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    withabix wrote: »
    The school and/or LEA is liable, as the vandalism was carried out whilst the pupil was under their supervision.

Write to your MP and the school governors, copying the letter to your local newspaper.

Why should your premiums go up if you make a claim? If you put in a claim your insurance company may take it up with the school for you.

Regards,
    Art.
  • Vedder2008
    Vedder2008 Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks withabix, but what is the LEA, I am no good at complaining really but I am will get in touch with my MP if I dont get the response I want from the head and I'm sure it won't be what I want to hear. I would have assumed that whoever did it is the same person who has done both windows as it is too much of a coincidence for it to be two different lads.
  • OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    Options
    iKennett wrote: »
    I would THINK that the school are liable for replacing your window, imaging if the School was a business and as a result of a business activity your window was broken.... would the business be liable?

Do you have legal protection on your house insurance?

A school is a business and the pupils are its customers, not the employees. I think your complaint will be directly with the relevant pupil which will be a police matter. So the CCTV should be looked at by the police, not the school head.
  • Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    Vedder2008 wrote: »
    My upstairs double glazed window has been broken by someone at the school that overlooks my garden

Are you certain it was someone at the school. i.e. Did you witness it or have evidence to prove it was. "It must have been" is not sufficient.

Did this person damage your property whilst still in the school grounds, or had they left?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure