British Gas & Power Flush

Options

Comments

• gwyneddgirl
    Options
    Our hot water keeps switching on and off. We have a baxi combi boiler and British Gas Homecare. Called in engineer didnt arrive when said, so had to set another time. Wasnt here 2 minutes before telling me we needed a power flush for £700 told him we'd get other quotes, not happy told that Homecare wouldnt touch it after because they cant guarantee the work. Did a part boiler flush? got hotwater but not constant told it wouldnt be unless we had full power flush. Came this morning to clean, to find the boiler has been leaking all night ruined the top of a linen cupboard underneath and also gone over floorboards. Now awaiting another engineer. Partner checked online to find this forum....... very interesting!! A friend had warned me that a relative who works for British gas had been reprimanded for not selling, (power flushes or new boilers when not needed?). he told them he wanted to just be a decent gas fitter not a bloody salesman!! Also Eon charge £300 for power flush they said they hear it on a daily basis power flushes or new boilers needed. Waiting now to see engineer but will def cancel fuel and Homecare contract and if I dont get satisfaction re repair and compensation for ruined furniture will be contacting Watchdog on BBC.:mad:
  • juliew
    juliew Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I have just been told by a British Gas engineer that my central heating system needs a powerflush as he said black water comes out when you bleed the radiators. I have a Homecare 400 agreement. The powerflush will cost £709 - which I don't have - and if I don't have it done my system will not be covered for any water carrying parts that break down. Also he said that BG will more than likely cancel my contract when it comes up for renewal. Oh and also the powerflush will take 8 hours to complete! I have no idea if this information is correct or if it is a moneymaker for BG. Can anyone help please? Thankyou!
  • heating-eng
    Options
    juliew wrote: »
    I have just been told by a British Gas engineer that my central heating system needs a powerflush as he said black water comes out when you bleed the radiators. I have a Homecare 400 agreement. The powerflush will cost £709 - which I don't have - and if I don't have it done my system will not be covered for any water carrying parts that break down. Also he said that BG will more than likely cancel my contract when it comes up for renewal. Oh and also the powerflush will take 8 hours to complete! I have no idea if this information is correct or if it is a moneymaker for BG. Can anyone help please? Thankyou!
    I would get a second opinion. BG engineers have be known to say you need a flush when on is not required. I go to lots and lots of them.
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    I would get a second opinion. BG engineers have be known to say you need a flush when on is not required. I go to lots and lots of them.

and did you flog these 'needless' powerflushes?
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    and also if this is such a scam why hasnt Watchdog/Rogue traders exposed this practice?
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • heating-eng
    Options
    ihateyes wrote: »
    The one I went to today was a faulty non return valve, I got it working and checked the water and it now works fine, quote from BG was £1100.
    I only ever give best advice even if this does me out of work.
  • heating-eng
    Options
    and also if this is such a scam why hasnt Watchdog/Rogue traders exposed this practice?

If you search the net you will find lots of cases.
    I also went to one last week ,the customer had paid to have an air sep fitting because the system was sucking air in, the system still did the same after so the engineer then said it needed flushing.
    I went up into loft to find it pumping over, this was because the expansion was not high enough, I sorted this for customer.
  • heating-eng
    Options
    I find the real problem first before advising anything.
    Sometimes they need a powerflush and other times they don,t.

I could list lots and lots of things but I won,t.
  • ollski
    ollski Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    If you search the net you will find lots of cases.
    I also went to one last week ,the customer had paid to have an air sep fitting because the system was sucking air in, the system still did the same after so the engineer then said it needed flushing.
    I went up into loft to find it pumping over, this was because the expansion was not high enough, I sorted this for customer.

I would be genuinely astonished if a system that had been pumping over for any period of time did not require a flush...this is a super quick way to corrode the install.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    British Gas are renowned for drumming up extra business by inventing work like power flushing.

They also do the same with safety inspections. I walked into my 90 year old mothers house one day to find one of their engineers writing out a safety advisory on her gas hob because he said there was no isolation valve. When I pointed out the isolation valve he said that he was issuing the note because my mother did not know where it was!
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure