British Gas & Power Flush

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• skidr0w
    Options
    I had a 17 year old boiler covered under homecare which had many parts replaced over the years. Never had a mention of a powerflush just the usual "your boiler is on the reduced parts list" do you want a quote for a new boiler?. No! it was efficient, safe, serviced and working. Eventually I asked the engineer at one visit to show me what parts are no longer covered as they do not have them in stock and he then told me that they actually do. It's all scaremongering and sales pitch. That was my experience with our 17 year old boiler - id imagine this will vary by manufacturer.

So we move down the street to a house with a 6 year old boiler, resign up to Homecare and before looking at the boiler we got the "you need a powerflush" and "your boiler is not a good make". So the engineer starts a service and cannot figure out why we still have hot water after he turns the boiler off and it turns out he thought it was a combi!. He then says it's a newer boiler with the wrong casing. But you still need a powerflush and you will not be covered if you have a boiler fault. £680. You have cold spots at the bottom of your radiators. No I dont!

So I phone BG and ask why they have not cancelled contract if I am no longer covered for repairs. They send out a second engineer for an opinion and they he says if you have a boiler fault as a new customer you will be covered for the repair however if it is the fault of sludge then you will not be covered for further repairs until you get a powerflush.

So I will wait until first repair, listen to the advice, and cancel the contract. What a bunch of chancers.

And yes, if you have read through the previous posts BG will cover a 17 year old boiler. Prior to moving house I got my 17 year old boiler serviced for the new occupants and I asked if BG will allow a homecare contract on it and the engineer said yes they will. Engineer also said that they have 30 year old boilers on their books. That's what they said.

I amy need a powerflush, there may be history with the previous owners/repairs but they cannot tell me this information.
  • skidr0w
    Options
    Since my comments above I have had a few other issues with my heating system.

1. actuator needed replaced - broken spring - probably 16+ years old. Told this may be due to dirt in the system getting into the actuator however this is a sealed unit connected to a sealed pipe that it "turns" on a motor I believe. Impossible for dirt to transfer from one to another. No water, no open pipes.

2. Sister plumbing company to BG said that these engineers explaining you need a powerflush are on £90 commission. Maybe not true, maybe true but we didn't ask, we were just informed during a routine call out during a friendly chat. He said always be dubious and there is no way you need a powerflush so soon on a fairly new built house.

I hope this information helps someone make a decision when BG are throwing the "you need a powerflush" issue.
  • scott_lithgows
    Options
    I,ve been told I need a power flush by Scottish gas,that's fine but I paid for one about 9 years ago with a repeat guarantee,only thing is they are saying their is no record of this on my file!

I put in a complaint but no one gets back to me.

A power fish costs approx the same as one years payments to BG,I,m thinking they want rid of this customer of 19 years standing.
    I have a deep burning indifference
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am no boiler engineer or plumber.

But after 20 years in my home I slower re-placed all the radiators and fitted a filter. I top the inhibitor up once a year and have yearly service...........no problems.
  • TheGreenAge
    TheGreenAge Posts: 1 Organisation Representative
    Options
    You should only really be looking to get a power flush done ever 5-6 years. They are not as important as your yearly service, but can boost efficiency.
    Verified Organisation Representative
    I’m a verified organisation rep for The Green Age.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the verified organisations list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
  • Nope, I would not touch BG with my barge pole. Never had a power flush, just add inhibiter to the top tank in October, bleed the radiators the same day. Always comes out clear. System 16 years old and runs fine. Tested every month by running for ten minutes, keeps the valves and pumps in good shape.
  • freeasabird
    freeasabird Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 September 2018 at 8:26PM
    Options
    I've been quoted £400 for a powerflush. Sounds a bit expensive or is this the average price? Kind of feel they have me over a barrel as further call outs may be refused if I don't get it done.
  • cairndog
    cairndog Posts: 226 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nope, I would not touch BG with my barge pole. Never had a power flush, just add inhibiter to the top tank in October, bleed the radiators the same day. Always comes out clear. System 16 years old and runs fine. Tested every month by running for ten minutes, keeps the valves and pumps in good shape.

Hi, I'm having a new Ideal Boiler fitted and the radiators have to be power flushed first. I have a conventional system with a cylinder in airing cupbourd and 2 tanks in the loft.

When you say you test it every month by " running it for ten minutes " What do you mean ?

My power flush was part of the quote for replacing my old boiler so I'm not surprised by having to have it done, and not by British Gas !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure