IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Challenging council parking tickets

Options
Hi, I'm looking for a little help here.

I've been getting a bit of trouble from the council parking attendants.

Basically, I live in a busy street, part of a one-way system. One side of the road about half way up the street, is where people that live here park their cars. It's actually a double yellow, but because there is no efficient parking for residents at all it's under despute, and I've never had a ticket parking there before.

However, there is not enough room to park there always (there are many cars in the street), so I'm forced to park in the other half of the street where I always seem to wake up with a ticket on my car, along with the rest of the residents who've had no choice either.

Worst of all, there's a large space between the flats that has been fenced off that could easily be made into a carpark for residents.

I find it disgusting that there is no place for me to park my car if the street gets a little busy. Or if I don't make it home from work early enough and one of the other neighbours takes my space (right outside my flat).

I currently have 2 unpaid tickets. One last week, and one today. I absolutely refuse to pay these, but need the right advice as how to confront the council.

My argument is simply there is NO adequate parking for the residents of our road, and the tickets being issued are completely unfair, as there is no alternative but to park on the undesputed area.

As far as I'm concerned they can put me in jail and throw away the key. I will NOT be paying the fines. Obviously I need a civilised way of desputing the tickets, not just for me, but for the other residents being raped of their hard earned cash.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Post up the tickets (both sides) together with photos of any signs, bays and lines.
    Someone will be along to assist.

As for having nowhere to park, that's just bad luck, unfortunately. The council are not responsible for finding parking spaces for residents. It's also not an issue that's relevant to the validity of the tickets.

However, that doesn't mean that the tickets are correct. So let's have a look and see what we can do.
  • ian_jamieson
    Options
    sarahg1969 wrote: »
    Post up the tickets (both sides) together with photos of any signs, bays and lines.
    Someone will be along to assist.

As for having nowhere to park, that's just bad luck, unfortunately. The council are not responsible for finding parking spaces for residents. It's also not an issue that's relevant to the validity of the tickets.

However, that doesn't mean that the tickets are correct. So let's have a look and see what we can do.

Errr.....having the tickets might be a bit of a problem. Sometimes my anger gets the better of me :mad:
    I'll take pics of the area, bays and lines tomorrow during the day.
  • Neil_B
    Neil_B Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    As Sarah said. Nothing you say can help you. It's a political issue and the overall situation should be addressed through the proper channels. It won't make these PCNs you already have go away though.

You are not going to be thrown in gaol. You are going to meet the bailiffs. For each PCN at the start of bailiff involvement you are looking at circa £200 - 250 but from your stated intention that would fairly quickly rise to £400- 600 per PCN.
    Still, the good thing is you won't have to worry about parking anymore! You won't have a car.
    if you want to investigate a legitimate avnue then go and check the Traffic Regulation Order.
    Check it has been correctly implememnted, under correct legislation and is correctly signed and sealed.
    then in the section for your street make sure the restrictions listed match the road markings and signage.
    -
    Oh, and just saying which Council would be a start?
  • Herbie21
    Herbie21 Posts: 562 Forumite
    Options
    Neil B...Good advice.

The London Motorist Action Group (LMAG) would agree with every word that Ian said. There is not enough space to park but then again this is not a valid argument to put forward.

However, last year the new Traffic Management Act came into force which REPLACED the Road Traffic Act 1991. It is the case that the vast majority of local authorities have still to put in place the correct wording on their PCN's so it would make sense to let Neil B have a look to see if there are any glaring errors.
  • ian_jamieson
    Options
    Ok, today we were asked to move our cars to let the road workers in. They then proceeded to paint over the double yellow with black paint. The neighbours seems to think they're putting the restrictions back in place i.e. 30 Mins Max.

If this happens, then basically there is going to be no more parking spaces for the residents at all. Absolutely no where to put our cars and I can see them going round once a week to slam tickets on all the cars.

To me, it's a total scam and extra tax to get money for their own greedy pockets. The way things are right now with the economy I can honestly see people taking to the streets over this. Such a blatent and dishonest way to take money from hard working folks already struggling.

Is not really worth thinking about what I'll do if I look out my window to see a traffic warden writing me a ticket. God help him...
  • Neil_B
    Options
    The neighbours seems to think

Yep. That just about sums you up mate. No intention of listening so why ask advice? No intention of doing anything constructive. Just gonna cry 'it's an outrage'! - and listen to hearsay and 'bloke in pub told me'.
  • Neil_B
    Options

Is not really worth thinking about what I'll do if I look out my window to see a traffic warden writing me a ticket. God help him...

You're right, it's not.
    Tough enough job having to follow stupid instructions from their Council employers already.
    then the rest of us have to deal with the fallout of such actions as you suggest - when CEOs act badly in reaction.

Still, should be amusing when you come to deal with the bailiff!
  • GrammarGirl
    GrammarGirl Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Options
    Was your flat advertised with allocated, or available, parking? Usually flats will have one allocated parking space if there's a carpark, otherwise nothing.

When I rented a 1 bed flat in the city centre I had no available parking. Luckily for me, I didn't have a car at the time. But if I did I'd make sure the place I rented did have sufficient parking.

If you rent, it might be in your tenancy agreement?
  • ian_jamieson
    Options
    Neil_B wrote: »
    Yep. That just about sums you up mate. No intention of listening so why ask advice? No intention of doing anything constructive. Just gonna cry 'it's an outrage'! - and listen to hearsay and 'bloke in pub told me'.

Who says i'm not listening? I was talking to the traffic warden this morning who said she's been told to give is until the afternoon to move our cars. Luckily I never got another ticket after explaining the situation. She told me, they're expecting me to park in a carpark about 1/2 mile from my flat at a cost of £100 a year.

A half mile? Last time I left my car just round the corner, it got broken into and written off. I think I'm going to move soon, I've had enough.

I'm currently staying in North Wales btw. And no, no allocated space was mentioned on the lease, however, when I went to look the landlord said it was fine to park my car outside as it was under despute because of the issues mentioned.

I need to get these photos, as I'm sure the signs are not placed correctly i.e. There's only one and it's further up the road.
  • Neil_B
    Options
    Who says i'm not listening?

I suggested your strongest starting point in post #4. The TRO. It may well be that the Council are acting beyond their authority or have done so to date. you did not listen. The info was confirmed by possibly just about the best bailiff advisor I know! (not that you were to know that admittedly).

I asked a simple question - what Council? Nope - too difficult.

Instead you listen to hearsay from the neighbours who are only speculating as you are and now more hearsay from a CEO - whose colleagues you earlier made inappropriate suggestions about?

yes pics are a good idea.
    -
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills