Setting up orange livebox

Options
Have just upgraded my broadband package with orange and they have sent through a livebox to connect instead of the existing modem.

It comes with instructions which look fairly straightforward, and then an installation cd.

I have been instructed to wait for an email advising me that the new BB is live before setting up.

A couple of questions:

Will anything change on my pc when I do the switchover? Will all my data remain, my email account etc, will I need to re-install anything?
Is there anything I need to do before the old BB goes off?

Once the new BB goes live, will the pc still work with my old modem if i don't change it over straight away?

Sorry, I'm sure this is all very basic, but I've never had to do it before )old BB was installed for me) and I'm being a bit girly and nervous!

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you mean that you are currently with Orange BB (and not some other BB provider) then very little should change.

If the existing modem is connected via USB, you will probably need to uninstall the software that previously controlled that hardware - last time I did this upgrade for someone else, this was the only bit that was unclear in the instructions. I started by removing that software (in my case Speedtouch software) before starting the Livebox install, and it worked Ok.

If you're moving from another provider to Orange, more changes will be needed, such as your ADSL login, plus changes to the servers that you use to send and receive email, but it shouldn't be difficult. However, if your email address(es) were provided by your old ISP, you may need to set up new ones.

Whether you need to change modems immediately depends on whether you're moving from one Orange product to another (probably not) or another ISP to Orange (you definitely will).
  • fiscalfreckles
    Options
    Thanks.

As I'm staying with orange, it should be straightforward then, but I'll maybe have to uninstall speedtouch.

Just a bit nervous as i have a holiday coming up & a lot of email confirmations & stuff that I don't want to lose.
  • Hi there, I work for Orange and might be able to help.

If you are just changing your package, there will be no need for you to amend anything really. You will be keeping the same account, therefore no change of email address, username/password etc.

If it is the Speedtouch USB modem you had, as far as I am aware you can still use it, even when the Livebox is set up. It just means that you wont be able to make use of the extra features the Livebox offers.

Kind regards,
    Jonathan
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Orange. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • fiscalfreckles
    Options
    Sigh.

Just had a go setting up the Livebox and no go.

I'd had the email to say the account was live, followed the instructions carefully, and right at the end it said there was a problem. I've tried all the suggestions and it still won't connect.

Will have to ring them now (when DD gets home with the mobile linked to the package).

Why do these "simple set ups" never work for me? :huh:
  • glosman555
    glosman555 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    When I got my Livebox it would not install using the install CD. If you go to the Orange website and navigate via the help and support section to "how to manually install your Livebox" it's quite easy to go wireless after first using the ethernet cable to sign in.
  • fiscalfreckles
    fiscalfreckles Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Options
    Marvellous! Thank you, off to have another go...

(Why can't they just put that on the instructions instead of asking you to ring up??)
  • fiscalfreckles
    Options
    Nope.

Still can't do it.

I plug everything, the indicator light says it is connected, but the next manual step is "open a browser and type........"

But it won't as it says I am not connected!
  • glosman555
    glosman555 Posts: 275 Forumite
    Options
    If you have IE or Firefox installed already on your computer it should open a page from the browser without being connected to the internet. Do you have any browsers installed on your computer if so click on the shortcut to open it.
  • shimmershelly
    Options
    To be connected your livebox should be showing 3 solid lights - the @ light, the telephone light and the one next to that, are any of them flashing?
    Try a factory reset -
    Unplug all cables
    Hold down the 1 button on the back while inserting power cable you should get 3 solid lights next.
    When the triangle light flashes, plug in the other cables.
    Access Livebox homepage at 192.168.1.1
    Click configuration link and enter username and password (both admin)
    Click "my services" then "internet"
    Enter your orange username and password in the boxes and then click validate.
    Wait a while for it to do its thing and then the status should be connected.

If your livebox plays up it's worth doing the factory reset as orange customer services might talk you through doing it before they try other avenues.
    Well I can't stand by the side
    And watch this life pass me by

Just want to be...Happy

• fiscalfreckles
    Options
    glosman555 wrote: »
    If you have IE or Firefox installed already on your computer it should open a page from the browser without being connected to the internet. Do you have any browsers installed on your computer if so click on the shortcut to open it.

Yes, IE, but all I get is "IE cannot display the webpage"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport