Can I still use tiscali Brodaband through TalkTalk line rental?

Options
Hi All,

My mother is interested in switching her line rental to Talk Talk as it will be one monthly bill rather than a second one.

She has been using Talk talk for a while and most of her family has it, so she benefits from free calls to them, and paying just one bill is more convinient.

I use tiscali Broadband, whihc says something about a BT line, I'm sure. Presumably Talk Talk just buy line rental from BT at wholesale prices and resell it, so technically I would still have a BT line.

Am i right, and Will I still be able to use Tiscali if she makes the switch to Talk Talk.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I don't wish to be rude but I really do not understand this "It's so much easier having just one bill" nonsense.

What is easier is spending a few minutes setting up Direct Debits so dealing with the bills is automated.

I find, "It's so much easier having low bills" myself. That does not involve moving my line rental from BT despite, on the face of it, cheaper line rental being available elsewhere. The wider picture shows otherwise ........

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=153625

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=152599
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would not recommend this move.

You may well be happy with TalkTalk today, but that might not always be the case. If you move the line rental to TT then you will lose the ability to rut your calls via another operator should you wish to do so. Only BT, by the terms of its license has to allow you to route your calls via another operator should you wish to do so.

Also, inclusive in your line rental with BT is Caller Display. You would have to pay an extra £1.75 per month to obtain this with TT.

Not sure whether this would affect Tiscali. According to Tiscali it has to be a BT line, according to Talk Talk it does not have to be BT. I suspect that Tiscali would continue to provide service if you shifted the line rental to BT. Call Tiscali and verify it.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Totally agree with Steve_xx, TT suggested I move to them for line rental, but I reckon that BT Togther Option 1 is cheaper as CLI (Caller display) is free with BT.
    There should be no problem with your broadband connection, however in the event of a line fault when you are paying line rental to TT you will have to go through them, not a good idea IMHO.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • chodges84
    Options
    Thanks for the answers guys, but it's not my decision as to whether or not we stay with BT or another provider. I personally may not mve away from BT, but its not my line and I have no say.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to use things like diallers. Also, thanks for the tip on CLI, I wasn't aware that was included with talk talk. Does that include 1471?

The phone is only used mainly in the evenings and then to members of family or friends, most of whom use Talk Talk and have free calls anyway.

If it will end up costing more, then I will obviously try and sway her, but my main concern is whether I can use Tiscali with |Talk Talk f she decided to make the move.
  • chodges84
    Options
    penrhyn,

do you use talk talk for your calls with BT Together Option 1?
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    penrhyn wrote:
    Totally agree with Steve_xx, TT suggested I move to them for line rental, but I reckon that BT Togther Option 1 is cheaper as CLI (Caller display) is free with BT.
    There should be no problem with your broadband connection, however in the event of a line fault when you are paying line rental to TT you will have to go through them, not a good idea IMHO.

Regarding line rental with TT and fault reporting. There should be no deterioration in the Service Level Agreement when reporting faults to TT.
  • Heinz
    Options
    chodges84 wrote:
    The phone is only used mainly in the evenings and then to members of family or friends, most of whom use Talk Talk and have free calls anyway.
    So she needs a way of making free evening and weekend calls to UK 01/02 numbers without having to use a dialler or remember a prefix?

Easy - keep the BT line and sign up for Primus Saver Option 2 CPS.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    Heinz wrote:
    So she needs a way of making free evening and weekend calls to UK 01/02 numbers without having to use a dialler or remember a prefix?

Easy - keep the BT line and sign up for Primus Saver Option 2 CPS.

Sounds like she doesn't want to have multiple billing!
  • Heinz
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote:
    Sounds like she doesn't want to have multiple billing!
    At which point, this thread has gone FULL CIRCLE. :cool:
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    chodges84 wrote:
    ...I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to use things like diallers. Also, thanks for the tip on CLI, I wasn't aware that was included with talk talk. Does that include 1471?...
    Sorry but just in case you werent certain, TT and other companies offering line rental WILL charge you for CLI and for BT Answer 1571. Currently only BT offer these for free.

Remember that calls to non-geographical numbers (those very, very common numbers beginning 08x) - which are used by most companies (banks, etc) and gov depts are generally cheaper on BT with the exception of one or two occasions.

A quick example is that a 1min call to an 0845x number will cost 3p/min on BT and I think its 4.5p/min on TT.

BT Together Option 1 by direct debit is only 50p more dearer than TT but of course TT don't supply CLI and BT Answer 1571 for free unlike BT.

I agree with Heinz and others that if you pay by direct debit then it really doesn't make a difference who you are paying your bills to and is in fact no easier paying both calls and line rental to TT than it is to BT, or both separately.

I do agree though that if you don't pay by direct debit and therefore have the hassle of going to the local shop, etc then it may be easier having both bills paid to the same company.

Mothers can be adament about things though. I have on occasions had to convince my mother that certain things are cheaper like the setup she has now. It took me a while and in the end she gave up and said ok. Now I find its easier to convince her now. My mother only gave up to shut me up which doesn't bother me because I've finally managed to prove to her that her old setup wasn't cheap at all. LOL. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure