🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Credit record

Options
Hi all,

I was recently rejected for an Amex Platinum Credit Card. I have an Australian Amex CC, and thought it would be easier to have my credit history moved to the UK by doing a Global Transfer. However I didn't think I would be rejected as I haven't had any debt for several years now. I barely used my Australian Amex and am hoping that is why I was rejected.

Would Experian hold my credit details from the time I lived in Australia? As I have had no transactions on credit at all since I have been in the UK (about 3 years) would it be worth me looking at my credit file?

Also, I'm assuming it will be quite hard for me to get a mortgage, with no credit history, so will I be better off applying for another credit card, so I can build up a history?

Thanks,
marlasinger
marlasinger

Comments

• cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    Your details from Australia will not show on your UK credit file. Basically you have started from scratch. Are you on the Electoral Roll? Do you have a UK bank account? It may be worthwhile starting there or getting a subprime card like Aqua or Vanquis
  • marlasinger
    marlasinger Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi - thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I'm on the electoral roll. I suspected my details from Oz wouldn't be on there. :mad:

I have a UK bank account (and have regular income going in), so would that be the best place to go for a credit card, as they 'know' me? I really don't want another rejection to appear on my record.

Thanks,
    marlasinger
    marlasinger

• cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    Rejections do not appear on your record - only searches. Go into your bank branch and ask them first as you may have an internal score with them. Failing that you would have to go sub-prime
  • marlasinger
    Options
    OK, will do. Thanks. :T
    marlasinger

• benf90
    benf90 Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    It's probably worth having a read of this guide too:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/credit-rating-credit-score
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I was recently rejected for an Amex Platinum Credit Card. I have an Australian Amex CC, and thought it would be easier to have my credit history moved to the UK by doing a Global Transfer. However I didn't think I would be rejected as I haven't had any debt for several years now. I barely used my Australian Amex and am hoping that is why I was rejected.

Would Experian hold my credit details from the time I lived in Australia? As I have had no transactions on credit at all since I have been in the UK (about 3 years) would it be worth me looking at my credit file?

Also, I'm assuming it will be quite hard for me to get a mortgage, with no credit history, so will I be better off applying for another credit card, so I can build up a history?

Thanks,
    marlasinger

ring amex and tell them you want to close your OZ amex and take out UK one. You were probably therefore declined because amex only give 1 card per customer and unlike the cra's, your history etc does transfer as you have a client reference number which stays with you. this way whenever you apply they are certain you only have one account. For example, it was possible to get an amex charge and an amex credit card at the same time. Not any more, they don't want the exposure.

Amex are offering american cardholders $300 to settle and close their accounts..... shame they didn't offer it to Aus cards (may be worth asking).

Remember ring amex in Brighton, not Aus...

HTH
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • marlasinger
    Options
    Ta, benf30, I shall read that guide.

Never-in-doubt, that's exactly what I did (Global Transfer); and they were going to cancel my Australian card and issue me with a UK one. I've had my Oz CC since 2002, which is why I'm so surprised (and slightly worried) I was rejected for a UK one. :eek:
    marlasinger

• never-in-doubt
    Options
    Ta, benf30, I shall read that guide.

Never-in-doubt, that's exactly what I did (Global Transfer); and they were going to cancel my Australian card and issue me with a UK one. I've had my Oz CC since 2002, which is why I'm so surprised (and slightly worried) I was rejected for a UK one. :eek:

Hi, yes but you're asking for a swap, in essence you need to ring Brighton and speak to underwriting and explain to them that as you're new to the UK your credit file will be empty however, as an existing excellent customer, you would like them to guarantee you a UK card so can you leave it with them to close and re-open a new one for you.

They will then actually close the old one and immediately underwrite and authorise a UK account for you, maybe slightly less limit but at least you'd have a top card to start your UK credit file (can't be bad!) :T

do you mind sharing, what is your Aus limit? To as near as UK Pound as possible (will help people ascertain your previous credit etc)

• marlasinger
    Options
    Hi - that's what I did. I initally rang Amex in Oz to cancel my card, and they suggested I ring Amex UK to ask for a swap. So, I rang Amex UK (Brighton branch), they took the details of my Oz account, plus some other details. The lady did say that in the UK they have to do their own checks, etc., but I assumed that it would be like you say a simple swap. Apparently not! :confused:
    marlasinger

• never-in-doubt
    Options
    Hi - that's what I did. I initally rang Amex in Oz to cancel my card, and they suggested I ring Amex UK to ask for a swap. So, I rang Amex UK (Brighton branch), they took the details of my Oz account, plus some other details. The lady did say that in the UK they have to do their own checks, etc., but I assumed that it would be like you say a simple swap. Apparently not! :confused:

Ok, then you need to write to underwriting (want an address?) and explain in detail that you will have no UK credit record and can they use exisiting account history to make assessment. Authorise them in the letter to close old account and swap to a new UK one, and let them know that you may be declined because you're new to the UK as they know - being that you have a card already and they know you're a good risk!

Try that, they will do it. If you want the address and a name let me know and i'll post the details for you. Remember you do need to write not ring!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills