We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

T-Mobile no honouring a retentions deal

Options
Hi All,

On December 30th I called up T-Mobile to cancel my 18 mnt Flext 35 w&w contract because I had seen a deal for a 12 month contract on T-Mobile with a free playstation 3 (phone was basic but it didn't bother me because I wanted to keep my current phone). I was put through to retentions and the lady offered me the following to stay (after some negociating)...

12 Month Contract
combi 30
w&w
£18 discount

Total was around £17.50

Happy with this I decided that I didn't really need a PS3 and accepted the offer. She then sent out a text message to me to confirm and I went away happy.

In Jan I went to Europe on holiday made quite a few calls - so when my bill came in at £55 I wasn't suprised or worried. Today I have just recieved a text message from T-Mobile informing me that this Feb's online bill is available and totals £32 - which alarmed me because I hadn't really used it that much. Called them up and it seems that on the 13th Jan (whilst I was on holiday) the lady from retentions tried to call me to let me know the offer was made in error. I didn't pick up the call. The advisor today then let me know that my contract had been changed to...

18 Month Contract
Flext 35
w&w
£8 discount

Totaling over £30 a month

After spending some time on hold it appears that they WILL NOT honour the discount offer made by retentions but will change me to the agreed contract (still to be confirmed). They even queried why it has taken me so long to contact them about the mistake - half implying that I was up to no good.

What I am trying to find out here is - are they allowed to do that? Can they just change the terms of the agreement like that (rememberin that they have sent me a text message confirming the discount)? Is it not a contract which they AND I have to uphold?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Comments

• porlock
    porlock Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    Can't help, I'm afraid, but will be interested in your responses as I've just had my first bill for a new retention contract which came out at £6 a month more than I was quoted. Doesn't sound like a lot but it can be over an 18 month contract, and I was at the top of my budget anyway!
  • blondends
    blondends Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    UPDATE

T-Mobile called back to let me know that the lady in retentions no longer works for the company so they are unable to get to the bottom of the 'error'. They have decided to honour the original agreement of...

12 Month Contract
    W&W
    Combi30
    £18 Discount

:beer:

I am sooooo glad that this is sorted now - big thanks to the Customer Service Agent who sorted it all out in the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport