Britannia Building Society - PPI

Options
Good Morning,

My partner was looking through our Bank Statements last night and questioned an amount of £13.50 which is being paid to BBS. At the time we thought it was life cover. It turns out the life cover is in fact PPI.

The original policy commenced May 1996. 13 years ago. It was taken out by my partner when we purchased our first house. We moved from that house six years ago and changed mortgage providers from Britannia to Chelt & Glos.

Basically we have been paying 13.50 for 13 years and thoght it was life cover and in fact it was PPI. (I know, we are bloody stupid).

Does anyone know if we could we reclaim any of the money paid over to them. We don't know if any of the above constitutes misselling either.

If anyone could help with any advice we would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Chunky & Co.

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Chunky&Co wrote: »
    Good Morning,

My partner was looking through our Bank Statements last night and questioned an amount of £13.50 which is being paid to BBS. At the time we thought it was life cover. It turns out the life cover is in fact PPI.

The original policy commenced May 1996. 13 years ago. It was taken out by my partner when we purchased our first house. We moved from that house six years ago and changed mortgage providers from Britannia to Chelt & Glos.

Basically we have been paying 13.50 for 13 years and thoght it was life cover and in fact it was PPI. (I know, we are bloody stupid).

Does anyone know if we could we reclaim any of the money paid over to them. We don't know if any of the above constitutes misselling either.

If anyone could help with any advice we would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Chunky & Co.

Hi there

You may have a case here
    Check this link out as well for further information on PPI mis selling:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

You will find reasons of PPI mis selling and a reclaim letter template, but try to use your own words if you can with adding any reasons that may apply to you.

They have 8 weeks to respond, another letter maybe required, they will let you know in the final response letter of how to take this further if not satisfied with the outcome of this, generally this is the Financial ombudsman service (FOS), if eligible they will enclose the details with the leaflet of the FOS.
    Post by recorded delivery and please keep us posted in case any further help is required.

Good luck.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Chunky&Co
    Chunky&Co Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hi di3004

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

The loan was taken out and paid off so many years ago either of us can't remember anything about it.

We've just kept paying it month in month out over the past six years even when the loan was finished.

I'm so annoyed at myself.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you infomed.

Chunky & Co
  • Chunky&Co
    Options
    Just to update anyone interested and to keep a record myself. After verbally requesting information about the poilcy and sending them a letter we have not received a thing from them.

Should I contact them again?
  • di3004
    Options
    Just to update anyone interested and to keep a record myself. After verbally requesting information about the poilcy and sending them a letter we have not received a thing from them.

Should I contact them again?

Hi hun

How long ago did you request for the information hun?

Just to remind me, was it just for a copy of the agreement you requested or for the full SAR (Subject access Reques)?

For the agreement only, they should have sent that by 12 days of you requesting this, where normally you would enclose a payment of £1 postal order or cheque payment to cover for this.

Some will give you these free of charge but you cannot guarantee it, so by sending a payment, you have taken this the right direction.

For an SAR its 40 days they have to comply and a cost of £10 cheque or postal order payment is required for this request, as more information is enclosed, going back as far as 6 years or so.

The template for this is on the thread with details.

Did you post the request or ring them hun?
    By writing to them always post by recorded delivery so you can check on the tracking part of the Royal mail website to ensure the requests have reached them.;)

However, if you have done this and those timescales have not gone, you could contact the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) who should be able to help you, you can contact them here:
    https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx

Hope you hear from them soon hun, good luck and please let us know and keep us posted.

Di
    X
  • Chunky&Co
    Options
    Hi Di,

Thanks for reponding

Initially we contacted them by phone and the lady said there was no problem and information regarding the account would be sent out, they never requested any payment though.

In the meatime, having been on this board, we sent them the PPI mis-selling letter as advised above.

Since sendng the letter we have heard nothing. The letter was not sent recroded though.

What do you think I should do, give them a quick call to ask if they have received the letter?

Chunky
  • di3004
    Options
    Hi Di,

Thanks for reponding

Initially we contacted them by phone and the lady said there was no problem and information regarding the account would be sent out, they never requested any payment though.

In the meatime, having been on this board, we sent them the PPI mis-selling letter as advised above.

Since sendng the letter we have heard nothing. The letter was not sent recroded though.

What do you think I should do, give them a quick call to ask if they have received the letter?

Chunky

Hiya hun,

When did you send the PPI reclaim letter off?
    They have 8 weeks to respond, and I would ring them to make sure this letter has been received in order to know they are dealing with it.;)

Also check the same time on the info you requested for, although they may put you through to another dept, its nice to know where you are on this case though, at least you can keep a check on the 8 weeks in regards of the PPI reclaiming.;)

Good luck and hope you hear from them very soon, and hope it will be a good outcome, keep posting hun to keep us posted, and we will help all we can.

Di
    X
  • Chunky&Co
    Options
    Hi Di,

Letter sent 5th March, so theres plenty of time left.

I'll give them a call when I finish work.

Let you know tomorrow how I go on.

Chunks
  • di3004
    Options
    Hi Di,

Letter sent 5th March, so theres plenty of time left.

I'll give them a call when I finish work.

Let you know tomorrow how I go on.

Chunks

Hi hun
    Thanks for confirming this and hope you receive a good result, yes please let us know, cheers.;)

Di
    X
  • Chunky&Co
    Options
    Spoke to Britannia Last night.

They say they have not received a letter from us.

The lady on the phone was very helpful though.

1). - Yes they received a letter from us in 2003 informing of our change of address but this letter was never brought forward on the file. She said. If we have taken out PPI from the date this letter was received by Britannia with another company then Britannia would reimburse us but she didn't know for how many years they would go back.

2). She also looked on the system to find that when we rang last time to enquire what it was we were paying for, there is a note on the system to change our address but this too has not be actioned and they have sent all the documents out to the old address.

3). She also asked if we had household insurance with Britannia, (which is a no) and she says there is fully paid schedule on their system.

Should I now re-send the miss-selling letter recorded delivery and go from there?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Chuncky
  • di3004
    Options
    Spoke to Britannia Last night.

They say they have not received a letter from us.

The lady on the phone was very helpful though.

1). - Yes they received a letter from us in 2003 informing of our change of address but this letter was never brought forward on the file. She said. If we have taken out PPI from the date this letter was received by Britannia with another company then Britannia would reimburse us but she didn't know for how many years they would go back.

2). She also looked on the system to find that when we rang last time to enquire what it was we were paying for, there is a note on the system to change our address but this too has not be actioned and they have sent all the documents out to the old address.

3). She also asked if we had household insurance with Britannia, (which is a no) and she says there is fully paid schedule on their system.

Should I now re-send the miss-selling letter recorded delivery and go from there?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Chuncky

Hi there hun

What a commotion for you, but just to cover yourself I would send another letter, and post by recorded delivery just to make sure it reaches them, you can check this out on the royal mail website, tracking side of it.

Good luck hun and hope its resolved this time round.;)

Di
    X
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills