Abbey Direct ISA - Be Aware

Options
Earlier in the year I attempted to pay money into my ISA via an Abbey ATM machine. Half way through my transaction, the machine broke down.
Later that same day, I went to another ATM and deposited the money.
My statement showed the correct deposit balance, it also shows the deposit attempt in the Money In and the deposit reversal in the Money Out columns.
BUT.......the unsucessful deposit attempt is added to my Contributions to date amount.........resulting in an incorrect contributions remaining amount.
Today, I have again tried to deposit money into my ISA only to be advised I have reached my ISA limit of £3,600.00 for 2008/2009.
I went into the branch where I was advised a fax would have to be sent from the branch (apparently "loads of people complain about this" and they have a fax template on the system in readiness for each complaint) to Abbey Head Office advising Head Office to reduce my contributions remaining figure to the correct amount.
Why this is not corrected immediately following an unsuccessful deposit was not explained...............but, HERES THE RUB..........it will take 2 weeks for Head Office to amend the contribution remaining figure!!!
Had I not attended the branch, this error in the system would not have come to light, this in turn could have resulted in me not being able to deposit my full allowance of £3,600.00 for this tax year.
I find it astonishing that the Abbey do not correct this error immediately it happens, but wait for the customer to advise them.
Had I left it until next month to bring my contributions to the full £3600.00 there would not have been time for the Abbey to correct the error in time for the end of the current tax year.
Is it just me, or does this seem a very underhand/sneaky practise?
The machine fails, you contribution tally is incorrect, Abbey do nothing to rectify their error unless you complain?
ATM machine failure is quite common, I cannot be the only one who assumed Abbey correct the contributions to date automatically?
Whilst writing I have discovered, any errors made by Abbey staff over the counter (eg. wrong amount entered at time of deposit) will also be added to your contribution to date amount, and a fax to head office will have to be made to correct the amount.
This fax is not done unless the customer requests it.

Comments

• Darkwhy
    Options
    I've just got off the phone to Abbey.I was under the impression that a direct ISA my wife and I each took out for 2008-2009 was a fixed rate at 6.25%.Am I wrong?
  • jfljh
    jfljh Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I have today received a one sentence apology in reply to my letter regarding their errors in my contribution to date figure.
    Nothing from them with regard to making changes to the system to ensure this does not happen again to me or anyone else.
    To them we are just a number.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport