🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mis sold insurance? Advice please!

Options
Hello

At the weekend I had my Sony Ericsson C905 stolen at a music event. Immediately after I had both the IMEI and Sim card blocked and reported it to the police as stolen.

When I bought the contract a couple of month back I opted out of the T-Mobile insurance as I was already paying phone insurance on my RBS Royalties account. I phoned up RBS to be told I wasn’t covered as my phone was over the £300 limit and hadn’t been “registered”. Now I’ve had the same phone number for a few generations of phone, so there’s no way that when I originally signed up for the Royalties account that I wouldn’t have passed on that information if prompted.

I signed up for Royalties when I was cold called one day, they said it covered phone loss and theft so I obliged. They never told me I had to register my handset or there was a £300 limit. I pay £6.95 a month for that “privilege” where as T-Mobile costs £5 a month for insurance. Apparently I should have received a starter pack through the post which never arrived that states all this. Now why would I pay £6.95 a month knowing that it doesn’t cover my phone when I could have been paying less with T-Mobile? I feel totally done over.

Surely I have a case for taking them to trading standards?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    Options
    I just signed up to a similar account with LloydsTSB, and they took the IMEI of my phone. Not sure about any 'limit' mind.
  • Art_2
    Art_2 Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Options
    matt25th wrote: »
    Hello

At the weekend I had my Sony Ericsson C905 stolen at a music event. Immediately after I had both the IMEI and Sim card blocked and reported it to the police as stolen.

When I bought the contract a couple of month back I opted out of the T-Mobile insurance as I was already paying phone insurance on my RBS Royalties account. I phoned up RBS to be told I wasn’t covered as my phone was over the £300 limit and hadn’t been “registered”. Now I’ve had the same phone number for a few generations of phone, so there’s no way that when I originally signed up for the Royalties account that I wouldn’t have passed on that information if prompted.

I signed up for Royalties when I was cold called one day, they said it covered phone loss and theft so I obliged. They never told me I had to register my handset or there was a £300 limit. I pay £6.95 a month for that “privilege” where as T-Mobile costs £5 a month for insurance. Apparently I should have received a starter pack through the post which never arrived that states all this. Now why would I pay £6.95 a month knowing that it doesn’t cover my phone when I could have been paying less with T-Mobile? I feel totally done over.

Surely I have a case for taking them to trading standards?

Thanks for any advice

I have a similar arrangement with Lloyds Group and each time I change my phone I have to notify them of the new details. I'm afraid you aren't covered on this one.

Regards,
    Art.
  • butler_helen
    butler_helen Posts: 1,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've got the royalties account and had a welcome pack which clearly states you need to register the details- they sent 4 copies of the details and still phone me to remind me to do it, although im being slow...so thank you for the heads up on doing it and ...I dont think you can do anything about it.

does your house insurance cover your phone?
    If you aim for the moon if you miss at least you will land among the stars!
  • matt25th
    Options
    The home content isurance I get through lease agreement don't cover mobile phones, conveniently...

I was offered £100 compensation by RBS, I declined the offer and threatened to get trading standards involved. They've since revised the offer and sent it in the post. I'm not sure what the offer is yet, but the fact they've offered me compensation in the first place shows that they know they're in the wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport