PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eat for £12 a week?

Options
1404142434446»

Comments

• Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    Options
    I have just used:

Two onions (from the big Tesco pk)
    half a pack of mushrooms (55p was reduced)
    two half peppers (from salads at new year.. still edible)
    pk of quorn mince (reduced to 50p)
    3 tins of chopped toms (£1)
    1.5 pk pasta (from when it was 50p, so 75p)
    1/2 pk cheese (£1.12)

This made two huge trays... I need to freeze one. I anticipate that each one will last 3 nights!!

I also made two veg slices and stuffed mushrooms with above ingredients with one pk rough puff pastry (they paid me £2 to take 6 pks away) and the mushrooms were stuffed with stilton that was reduced to 30p! ooh and 5 olives, salt and black pepper.

So actual cost is around £3.50!

I may become addicted to this...

I need some cheap broccoli... probably frozen to make stilton and broccoli soup....

Any suggestions for stilton... I bought 5 pks! and have pastry coming out of our ears!!!

I was thinking for breakfast... it will be porridge!

The pasta was a little scrummy! so may struggle to make 3 meals her tray.. more like 5 meals whole in. OH had a mushroom.. he does not like stilton..... the look on his face was priceless!

Thanks for the link I will look, I'm going to drop DS2 off at pub near T*sco.. so will go in for the whoopies and as I still have some vouchers for free carrots/sprouts/parsnips, it would be a shame not to use them...... I will also get a big bag of onions and will be able to make veg soup.

So the plan is to bring the food bill in for £150-£200 depending on whether DS2 is home or at Uni for a 6 month period. But this amount is only for food/coffee, not drink, toiletries or cleaning fluid (I have loads from previous glitches).

I should disclose that I have enough baked beans, 5 beans, tomatoes, noodles, oil, bombay potatoes and loo roll to last the 6 months! I also have a large gammon and beef in the freezer.. very cheap and some pizzas (they were free)

We maybe eating stilton for weeks.

I plan on making cheese and onion pasties this weekend for lunch boxes, so lunch is these, soup or ham/cheese sandwich.

I have made sausage rolls the last two weekends.... the kids have had enough of these, I ended up putting them in the freezer!

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Sunshinemummy
    Options
    BB

I think I will make this

Fish with Stilton and Mediterranean Vegetable Topping

Serves 4

Ingredients

4 x 150g / 5 oz thick cod or haddock fillets - very very cheap in Asda well after the APG
    1 tbsp olive oil - cupboard
    1 red onion sliced - need to buy
    1 red pepper, sliced - need to buy
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar - cupboard
    knob of butter - have loads of lurpak spreadable - thanks tesco!
    150 g / 5 oz blue Stilton cheese, crumbled - very cheap
    handful of basil leaves, torn - will use dried
    sea salt and black pepper - cupboard

so should be just less than £1 for 4!

with boiled pot at around 35p.. and peas!

it should be £1.50 all in

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Sunshinemummy
    Options
    I also like the idea of stilton quiche, and a stilton pasta sauce

The rest will have to go in the freezer ... as too much of a good thing!

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 April 2016 at 8:11AM
    Options
    Being careful (Y/S) and cooking from scratch I have a £60.00 per month food budget I spend about a third of it on fresh fruit and veg (in season) and will eat veggie probably around twice a week Lasagne,curries,chilli etc can just as easily be made with veg as meat.So far this month I haven't spent a great deal and have only been shopping once.I am away for a week from this Friday and won't be home until the 22nd so have been using up fresh stuff from the fridge.I try only to shop around twice a month if I can and base my meals on what's available in season.A large pot of meat (Y/S) (good time to buy the cheaper cuts and they will cook beautifully in a SC) can be made in the SC with the addition of herbs, spice and veg etc and will portion up for freezing well.

I had a small pack of mince out of the freezer yesterday (about 8ozs) which with the addition of some left over carrot diced and a handful of red onion from the freezer and some chilli powder and a cheap tin of tomatoes has made a good three portions of chilli for the freezer.
    I had three carrots in the fridge which I wanted to use up rather than bin and the rest of the stuff came from the freezer and food cupboard.So when I come home from my holiday I will have a chilli from the freezer to defrost added to some rice I will have a nice hot meal for probably less that 50p. Its surprising what you can whiz up with a bit of ingenuity, a tin of tomatoes and a good dollop of chilli powder :):):) Cooking is all about experimenting and seeing what you can make with what you have.

Today with the amount of seasonings around it doesn't have to be bland or stodgy.When I come home I know I have a turkey leg in the freezer that once cooked in the SC will yield more than enough meat for several decent curries.I bought it after Christmas Y/S reduced to 75p and stuck it in the freezer for later.

Last night I had for dinner a small piece of pork fillet I had bought ages ago Y/S from W'rose.I dipped it in egg and rolled in sage and onion stuffing and cooked in the remoska with broccoli and mash from the freezer and some string beans it was delicious.Pudding was the last of my oranges from the bowl sliced up and topped with some left over plain yogurt.Cheap as chips and twice as nice .
  • OneLeggedPig
    Options
    A starch-based diet with some veg would be the cheapest (and very healthy).

Meals based around a starch (potatoes, corn, oats, rice, wholeweat pasta and bread) , with some veg and sometimes higher protein starch (beans, lentils).

So a day's meals would be:

Porridge (you can dilute cow or plant milk with water) with some sugar
    Beans and rice, with chilli sauce and frozen veg
    Jacket potatoes with baked beans and frozen veg
    Snacks: fruit, brown bread etc.

Starch is the cheapest food- what is cheaper than potaotes, oats, lentils, rice, brown pasta in bulk?
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure food prices have increased considerably in the 10 years since this thread started. Why bring it up now even there are numerous other threads on the same subject?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I'm sure food prices have increased considerably in the 10 years since this thread started. Why bring it up now even there are numerous other threads on the same subject?

It was revived by someone who was pushing their website and their posts have been removed now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure