PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eat for £12 a week?

Options

Comments

• spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    I can live on around £12 of fresh food a week,my staples are;

Eggs-(farmed) 10 for £1.00
    Bacon mishapes £1.00 a pack
    Fresh veg around £3.00
    Beef pieces (for curry ect) around £1.50
    Sausages around £1.80
    Baked Beans 39p
    Mushy Peas 54p
    2l Milk £1.00
    Pasties £2.00 (pack of 2 from my butchers.

On top of that I have the staples that last for 2 weeks,coffee,bread,cheese ect.In all it comes to around £30 a fortnight,Daisy my cat cost's me around £9.00 a fortnight....

I don't have a microwave & Freezer (That packed in a few months ago & I've not gotten round to replacing it yet!:p

For a snack,I make a batch of Hot Dog rolls which I use a tin of hotdogs,some mustard & a pack of Jus Roll puff pastry.I get about 10 which last me the two weeks.
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i found this very interesting so thought i'd add some shopping to an online shop and see how it went and i do think this is do able

800g mince - £1.92
    cooking bacon- 75p
    value frozen chicken portions-£2.79
    2 onions- 36p
    bag of apples - 60p
    5 bananas- 71p
    milk- 74p
    6 eggs- 69p
    tinned tomatoes- 33p
    value kidney beans -17p
    value marge 1kg £1.20 (would only use maybe 1/4 of this so 30p
    frozen mixed veg 65p
    brown bread 60p
    potatoes 99p
    porridge 1kg 99p will only use say 1/3 of the bag so 33p

that comes to £12.47p so abit over but there will prob be some chicken left for the next week ok it's abit low of fruit and veg but not too bad if your were buying for several people you could manage more
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • crockpot
    crockpot Posts: 631 Forumite
    Options
    £12 a week for an adult, well sainsburys meal deal is 4 for £50, but thats 2 adults and 2 children.

So it can be done, just better not snack and just have tap water!
  • Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    crockpot wrote: »
    £12 a week for an adult, well sainsburys meal deal is 4 for £50, but thats 2 adults and 2 children.

So it can be done, just better not snack and just have tap water!

These meal plans are in the region of £70-£80 per week these days......

Anyone still doing it for £12 PW as the thread started 6 years ago?

I think these days it will be £15-£18 PP per week.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We are trying to keep to £25 at the moment but seem to end up around the £30 pw mark for two adults and two young children. We are vegan so no animal products at all but do have the occasional veggie cheese etc, and soya milk/yog in place of dairy which is actually pennies more expensive than the dairy. So I suppose we could do it for the £12 pp if we really tried. There was a few people took part in the £1 a day challenge successfully which involved starting a cupboard from scratch so though it wouldn't be much fun to sustain I think it could be done.
    Love and compassion to all x
  • Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Boodle wrote: »
    We are trying to keep to £25 at the moment but seem to end up around the £30 pw mark for two adults and two young children. We are vegan so no animal products at all but do have the occasional veggie cheese etc, and soya milk/yog in place of dairy which is actually pennies more expensive than the dairy. So I suppose we could do it for the £12 pp if we really tried. There was a few people took part in the £1 a day challenge successfully which involved starting a cupboard from scratch so though it wouldn't be much fun to sustain I think it could be done.

I don't think thats excessive what you are spending.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • Boodle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Me neither Lionhead :) Thanks for resurrecting the thread. Will have a good read with a cuppa.
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Li0nhead wrote: »
    These meal plans are in the region of £70-£80 per week these days......

Anyone still doing it for £12 PW as the thread started 6 years ago?

I think these days it will be £15-£18 PP per week.

I did £10-12 a week regularly when I was at uni 1-2 years ago. I think £12 is a serious squeeeeze for most people now unless they are in the right place at the right time for useful reductions, market at closing, have a cheap local source of meat etc.
    I'm currently doing £10-15 a week but that's with some bulk buys that are probably worth ~£5 a week. A plan can't include unrealistic, unreliable things like yellow stickers and it really gets my goat when people are all "you can live on 50p a month too just buy yellow stickers!" :o
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think £30 a week is good aswell, we can do around £45 for the 5 of us however it doesn't include many nice things but does include a lot of fruit and yogurts/milk for the kids, I spend around the same on fruit and milk as I do on meat, but with small kids I'd never stop that.

It's worth noting this threads from 2006 although useful I doubt anyone would say an adult can live off £12 healthily now.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Boodle
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 July 2012 at 12:02PM
    Options
    I would say we eat pretty healthily tbh yes :) It's all perspective though. Some people see to think butternut squash is somehow superior to carrots, or that supermarket blackberries in summer are better for their kids than raisins, or that to not eat aubergine as a weekly staple is somehow depriving their children (I don't mean anyone specifically here, just in general :) )

Of course it would be pretty grim to survive on £12 per week with nothing to caarry across week to week, lke a few of us did on the £1 per day challange.

Quintwins, for what is is worth, I think that fruit and yoghurt does sound nice, and so would your kids I imagine :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport