PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eat for £12 a week?

Options

Comments

• Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 July 2012 at 3:51PM
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    Boodle I just came back this morning from the market with a loaded trolley and they were selling bowls full of aubergines (4-5 large ones) for £1! We had grilled aubergine, courgette and halloumi (total cost £2 for 3 people and that's because of the halloumi) for lunch and it was gorgeous! :)

I suppose that in London we are lucky to have lots of ethnic shops and markets, but possibly these are not accessible to people who live in small villages and towns.

I like aubergines as much as the next person lol. Possibly more! It was just a veg that popped into my head as an example :) Sadly, I'm the only one in my house who likes them so it isn't something we would buy often anyway. But good find C! We have a good greengrocers nearby. It isn't as cheap as some people quote on here for their local markets etc, but it is a bit cheaper than Asda smartprice etc. It is true that prices vary across the country but then so do the wages for equivalent jobs. I love reading the tips from everyone's different experiences :)

Meant to say, we use Approved Food too, Tigerfeet. I think if you didn't have access to this, or were able to pay out for this sort of bargain, yes it would make the £12 a week monotonous and tougher to acheive. We tend to have an AF order every 6 months, sometimes more, and spend about £50. Usually end up sharing my bulk buys out between mother and MIL though, which sort of defeats the point!
    Love and compassion to all x
  • spartysuz
    Options
    PP - Do you have your own diary/meal plan page? I really like some of your earlier meal ideas and really need to save some cash!
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :hello: spartysuz and welcome to OS :)

This is quite an old thread which I seem to have have missed so will have a read through!

You will find loads of ideas on the Old Style Board which will help you plan meals and save money :)
  • Fruball
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4359603

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4084527&page=16

I can't find the recent meal planning thread but the ones above should help.

first one is for people determined to stick to meal planning and the second one is eating for £7 a week :)
  • ariankevin
    Options
    how can you eat with 12£ a week. we spend 100£ every week. everything is so expensive. we are two adults and have two kids. would love to see the menu that could cost 12£ a week. intresting.
  • inrainbows
    Options
    My older sister lived across the road from Tesco for a few years, and her and her boyfriend ate the nicest foods at prices I was always jealous of. Trick is to go at around 8pm I think. She was getting things like huge cuts of salmon reduced 90% from £10 to just £1.
    Obviously these things perish quickly, but if you're being careful with shopping anyway, why not add a few things for keeping in the freezer (e.g. normally expensive fresh soups, fresh croissants)
    Now she lives near an M&S and says they eat similarly to before

Hope that helps :)
  • Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    Options
    ariankevin wrote: »
    how can you eat with 12£ a week. we spend 100£ every week. everything is so expensive. we are two adults and have two kids. would love to see the menu that could cost 12£ a week. intresting.

Hello everyone, just found this thread.

As you will see I can talk a lot! Apologies before hand!!

It does seem amazing to be able to cover the food costs of one person for £12 a week per person, but on consideration I think I am going to have a go!

So there are 4 adults in the house, so I have £48 a week!

If I look back on the last week, I don't think I have spent much more! We had bubbs beef from Asda, large joint £7. Steak on the first night, then stew.. lasted another 3 nights, and one lunch! So with a few onions from a very very large bag from Tesco, some of the potatoes that where on offer before Xmas is Lidl or was it Aldi, and a few of the carrots Tesco's sent me a voucher for... 4 evening meals, 1 lunch for less than £8. We also had parsnip soup... for lunch... apart from a few onions, half a pint of milk and some stock... free well about 50p!

I think we will have a chicken this weekend and then chicken casserole.. should be enough for two nights! So three meals for 4 people for around a £5.

Now I need to expand the menu! and stop eating/buying rubbish/snacks!

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Fruball
    Options
    This thread was started in 2006 and prices have shot through the roof since then!

It will be much more difficult now than then - but possible.
  • Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    Options
    Fruball wrote: »
    This thread was started in 2006 and prices have shot through the roof since then!

It will be much more difficult now than then - but possible.

I have just used:

Two onions (from the big Tesco pk)
    half a pack of mushrooms (55p was reduced)
    two half peppers (from salads at new year.. still edible)
    pk of quorn mince (reduced to 50p)
    3 tins of chopped toms (£1)
    1.5 pk pasta (from when it was 50p, so 75p)
    1/2 pk cheese (£1.12)

This made two huge trays... I need to freeze one. I anticipate that each one will last 3 nights!!

I also made two veg slices and stuffed mushrooms with above ingredients with one pk rough puff pastry (they paid me £2 to take 6 pks away) and the mushrooms were stuffed with stilton that was reduced to 30p! ooh and 5 olives, salt and black pepper.

So actual cost is around £3.50!

I may become addicted to this...

I need some cheap broccoli... probably frozen to make stilton and broccoli soup....

Any suggestions for stilton... I bought 5 pks! and have pastry coming out of our ears!!!

I was thinking for breakfast... it will be porridge!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts