Ebay Advice, fake razor blades, what do you reckon? ;)

Options
Hi there,

My first thread in this board! :)

Right, Im basically asking if anyone here has had any experience of buying gillette mach 3 replacement blades off of ebay. They are fairly expensive in the highstreet and there looks to be quite a saving if I buy them off of ebay. The thing is, ive looked at a few of these 'mach3' sellers (with good feedback) but I know there are fake mach3 blades floating about. The items I am mainly interested in are, item no: 5667714091 and 5665379207. Ive emailed both sellers a few times over the past couple of weeks asking if they are selling official blades or fakes. I havent had one response, and thus this has left me feeling rather suspicious. Also in the listing there isnt a mention of whether these items are official or not, though there are pack shots, could all these people be being conned!

Do I chance buying these or not, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Or a recommendation to a trusted seller would be great. ;) Should I take there silence as a warning? Even though the feedback is very good, and ones even a powerseller, I cant help but think they may well be flogging off good quality fakes, which has left the majority of the people happy though could they be pulling the wool over all these peoples eyes!? There has been a couple of mentions of the products possibly not being 'real' in the feedbacks.

So, what to do?? Should I risk it for the large saving, even when both sellers have ignored my various emails? The feedback is generally good and most people seem happy. Though we obvioulsy dont want to fork out for fake gillete blades.

Many thanks,

Sal :)

p.s. im now also thinking how the sellers can get the blades so cheap (half the price of the highstreet) maybe Im just being paranoid!

Comments

• aris
    aris Posts: 339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They could be grey market blades. In typical rip-off-britain style, some goods are just cheaper elsewhere. Enterprising people import them and sell for a profit.

This is not to say that these blades aren't fake - but there could be a reasonable explanation for them being cheaper.
  • salthegal
    Options
    Its just the fact that they didnt respond to any of my email enquiries over the last couple of weeks, this made me suspicious and that they havent stated anywhere that they are selling 'official' goods (even though they give an official packshot.) On the other hand the feedback for both is pretty good. :confused:
  • salthegal
    Options
    yup, my husband wants mach 3 turbo blades because of their high quality, so it kind of defeats the object if I end up with fakes which dont cut as well. :( Its amazing what people copy nowadays, whats next....counterfeit food!!! mmmmmm just imagine fake heinze beans!!!
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Options
    Have you checked out Savers? They're the cheapest high street retailer that I know of.

If sellers can't respond to your emails, I'd steer clear.

They either don't want your custom, or don't want to commit themselves to a lie in writing.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • salthegal
    Options
    Yes I kinda think they have something to hide if they dont respond to the emails. I dont think we have a savers near us, Im sure ebay holds a bargain, im just finding it hard finding a trusted seller of authentic blades. :(
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Options
    Well, don't forget to let us all know if you find one.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • sarahlouise210
    Options
    Well..having checked out the feedback I would chance it. There are many repeat buyers. (I have only checked out the first listing you quoted) Woul it really have made you happier if they had replied ? They could have said.." Oh yes..100% genuine" and not been telling the truth! They may have just been cheesed off that you asked. They could work at the factory..or know someone who does. There are many explanations...got to be worth a chance..such a good bargain!
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • salthegal
    Options
    Im gonna send them one more email from me, then Im going to ask my partner to send a 'normal' question along the lines of 'how long does shipping take' if they respond to him and not to me then I know they ignored my emails for a reason, and that the blades are most likely fake. Good idea eh! :p
  • sarahlouise210
    Options
    Good idea maybe..but... the feedback all says shipping was fast. I still dont see how it wil make a difference if they say they are genuine - they could be, or they could be fibbing! You may never know. I am sensing you are a person who does not like to take chances! At the end of the day ..how do we really know that they are real in Boots ???
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure