Claiming back 15 miles per day...

Options
I have my fuel to/from my 'temporary' place of work by the use of a company fuel card. I cannot claim back (apportion) the first 15 miles of work travel each day from my company, although I understand that it is possible to claim this back from HMRC.

Is this an easy process or is it a lot of hassle for little gain?

Comments

• Quinny_2
    Quinny_2 Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Options
    IIRC from my days of having my invoices done by a factoring company,you can claim 40ppm for the first 10k miles,and then 25ppm thereafter.

However,while I can't comment on how you would go about it,HMRC would be your first port of call,but I'm sure a mod will move this post to the Cutting Tax board where they will probably advise you better.
    That's my mutt in the picture above.
  • bored_of_debt
    Options
    Thanks Quinny,

It's not so much the rate as I have a fuel card and report the bisiness/personal percentage split and then the personal percentage is deducted from my wages, but I have to put the first 15 miles per day down as personnal...
  • Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Options
    How often do you have to go to your temporary place of work? HMRC are very funny about this and if you go frequently they will disallow all claims. For example, I am officially home-based so for tax purposes every trip is a business trip even if I am going to the office. Trouble is that HMRC will treat it as commuting if on average I go into any one office more than twice a week, so as a consequence I make sure never to go more than once a week on average over the year. I cannot remember the exact definition but I'm sure google will help.
  • bored_of_debt
    Options
    I go to the same place every day but am based at head office, I work for a building contractor. It's often done this way up to a period of 24 months...
  • becominganobsessivesaver
    Options
    Quinny wrote: »
    IIRC from my days of having my invoices done by a factoring company,you can claim 40ppm for the first 10k miles,and then 25ppm thereafter.

However,while I can't comment on how you would go about it,HMRC would be your first port of call,but I'm sure a mod will move this post to the Cutting Tax board where they will probably advise you better.
    This is against tax though - so you'd only get 8p per mile if a 20% tax payer on the first 10k miles
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure