Debts in the City. A Modern Girls Guide to Life in 2009. My story.

in Debt free diaries
1.8K replies 61.8K views
Hi all!
Like many others i have decided to write a journal / journey really of my debt free dream.

A bit about me, im 24 years old, i live in Surrey, only 20 mins on a train to the City. I live in a one bed ground floor flat (which is very spacious for a flat) with my cat Marmite and my OH who i shall call Sparky.

Me and Sparky brought the flat the week before Northern Rock crashed :eek:. So we are in negative equity. We had an awful 2008, both got made redundant, i had a very serious health problem which is now gone:T and during this stressful time, me and Sparky split up. After 9 years.

Needless to say it was a bad year.

Now forward to 2009....

Me and Sparky are trying again, slowly and surely, we have some huge debts, both our fault. We are now trying our best to get rid of them. We owe approximately £50K between us..ekkk

I got made redundant 3 weeks ago, am looking for new jobs, have got 2 interviews next week so fingers crossed, i need some luck! :A

I am trying to remain positive, even though ive had a pants time (im sure many others have been through it too xx) and really want to have a better life.

I am now an ebay addict and amazon fiend. Ive also signed up to Green Metroplis but its a bit slow....but hey ho...

Im doing this diary really for me, to keep on the straight and narrow and to stop me falling under this black cloud that keeps following me.

so here goes...I am shy, funny, a bit cheeky and in desperate need of some new like minded friends. So here i am. In all my glory (dont worry not naked glory:eek: ).

Nice to meet you x
CC1 - £250 (PAID) :j :D
CC2 - £2400 :mad:
CC3 - £3200 :mad:
I hate redundancy..it sucks. :mad:
Only smarties have the answer...:rolleyes:

Replies

• Hello Blondie!!!!! Welcome aboard.

Me and hubby had our Lightbulb moment last week when we realised we owed 31k and that's without our mortgage. Again we are probably in negative equity, so can feel for your situation.

Our debt is spread across credit cards, store cards, catalogue, and loans. I'm 27 and he's 32.

There's a link to a snowball calculator - I'll dig that out for you - and that will give you your debt free date. I know that things seem tough but me and hubby could be rid of our debts in 3.5years. That's good going as repaying only the minimum on my credit card alone would mean it ran for 75 years. Yikes!!!!

There's loads of good advice on here but from one newbie to another, Good Luck with your debt free journey and keep us all posted.

Kat x :rotfl:
  • waving - enjoy your diary it really does focus your mind on your debts x
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Welcome aboard! Good luck with the jobhunting and interviews, and looking forward to reading your diary
  • Thanks you two!

Our debts two are spread over numerous credit cards, loans and a Next bill that is slowly being paid off.

I have to say knowing what you we owe is one of the best things thats happened to me, the lightbulb is so bright it hurts my eyes!

Ive had good and bad days. I had one horrible day sitting here alone in the flat with NOT ONE PENNY to put on the key meter that only had 3p left on it. Scary times. I never want to feel like that again.

So its being thrifty all the way from now one. And one day, just one day, i might not have any plastic in my purse. Only shiny coins x
  • well done for posting, it sounds like you have had a pap time but are being really positive, good luck
    xx
  • *waves and runs to the kitchen to rip open some malted milks*

Ok OH was back from working away last night, it was good to have him back.

Ive had a mixture of good and bad news this morning, JSA has been denied for me as in 2006 i was self employed. GRRR so i have to go back next week to try to claim income based JSA. I dread going to the job centre, HATE IT. :eek: I just want to wear a tshirt that says 'I DO WANT TO WORK YOU KNOW, SO STOP JUDGING ME LIKE THAT!!'.

I'm starting to get nervous about my two interviews next week. One on monday and one on friday. I had a job interview a few weeks ago with a company and i get a decision about that role on Tuesday too. :j :j :j

I feel elated as i have the interviews but down and desperate as i need a job ASAP. No idea how i will pay any debts are my last wage from my old job. It will last me this month and thats it. :eek: No idea what to do about that! Ive already been through the - im gonna cry all the time coz i feel like a loser and might lose the flat - stage. Im trying to stay proactive and not worry about it. :rolleyes:

I know it sounds awful but im treating myself to get my nails done later today, it £12, and I KNOW I CANT AFFORD IT, but i need to feel better. Ive put on so much weight being at home all day sitting in front of this computer i feel really grim.

note to self - STOP STUFFING THE MALTED MILKS IN FAT PANTS!!!!!!!:shhh:

On one good note ive had two emails and have sold two books on Amazon this morning, so thats good news! I've already been to the post office this morning.

HANDS UP WHO'S POST OFFICE HATES THEM????
  • .... for one, stop eating this malted milks and two, to finish writing a statement for a job im applying for...(another long winded essay to which i have to talk about stuff like motivation -to which i have none right now to even write this thing - and teamwork, communication etc...
    :dance: :dance: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:
  • I just heard about this and have started using it - some nice kind person posted it on my diary!! Sounds like we have a cat in common apart from that our lives coudln't be more different!! But money is money -

www.spendingdiary.com

Give it a go after a couple weeks or even a week you will see where your money is going - it even does whizzy pie charts and everything - saves the whole of your spends online and its really easy to input. Its a real eyeopener

A pick me up is great (nails) as you need to keep motivated - keep up the good work with the application form.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • that spending diary thing is fab!

Im gonna try that for a month and see what happens. Although life is a bit weird without a job so its not regular spending.

All these train tickets to agencies and interviews costs a BOMB.
    :mad:
  • Hiya blondie *waves*

Didn't want to do a 'read and run' so will quickly say good luck on your debt busting journey. I will subscribe to your thread :)

PS Stop eating the Malted Milks, you are making me hungry lol :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals