edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
30 replies 2K views
heatherbelle_3heatherbelle_3 Forumite
340 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
Hi all!

I was lucky enough to become engaged on Friday! And I am now looking at venues between Glasgow and Perth (though not Glasgow city centre!) for our wedding and reception
Ideally it should be unique - no modern hotels, more castles, houses and hydros!
and there needs to be room for 140 over night guests (mostly sharing) either at the venue or very nearby.
Also need to be able to have 140 as a sit down meal. Ideally outside caterers but can negogiate with venues to try and get my dream menu if needed!

Many Thanks!
I miss using my infinite coupons at Tesco!
2010 was the worst year ever :(
But 2011 so far has been a lot of fun! :j

Replies

• emmzyemmzy Forumite
    428 Posts
    im looking for a venue in glasgow, same circumstances, but i thought u might be interested in the tall ship i remember them having a stall at the wedding show at the weekend i thought that was unique even though its in glasgow... getting married on a boat sounded cool, they quoted me roughly 800 for the service meal for 100 4 drinks per person and hall hire for the evening if you want more info pm me i have their brochure from the weekend
  • ailuro2ailuro2 Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marriott Dalmahoy - my s-i-l got married there and it was excellent - it's outside Edinburgh, is fairly close to the airport for friends and family flying in, close enough for the West Coast and East coast contingent of family to arrive from and it's really, really nice - very well handled, everything went without a hitch, apart from the most important one, of course.;) Sadly it'snot very MSE, but then weddings never are....

Congratulations on your engagement, btw:D :D :beer:
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • heatherbelle_3heatherbelle_3 Forumite
    340 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions so far and for the congrats ailuro2!

I work sometimes on the tall ship as I am a children's event s organiser so I really dont want to get married where I work! I actually want to be outside of Glasgow to give us some distance from our day to day lives.

I'm also not a fan of Edinburgh in general but I maybe swayed if it is outside the city and I will check it out!

I have the attitude for my wedding that I have a budget and I will try and be as MSE as possible! But that I have to come to terms with the fact I will have to actually spend some money!

I am quite taken by Crieff Hydro - it has the right amount of accomodation for us all! I am hoping to go see it this weekend and it has been a few years since I was there!

• EmmsEmms Forumite
    956 Posts
    What about Stirling Castle

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/places/hire/weddings/weddings-stirling-castle.htm

We got married in the Barcelo Stirling Highland Hotel just round the corner from the castle and had our wedding pics done in the castle and they were lovely.

Emma
    340 Posts
    ✭✭
    I went to Dunblane Hydro yesterday and I have to say I was impressed with their refurbishment plans - they are relaunching it in August with Doubletree Hilton status. There is something missing though with the fact that it is in a residential area.
    So we have now realised we want something that has its own grounds and feels totally secluded, even if it is quite close to a built up area...
    The search continues...

• House for an Art Lover in Glasgow .stunning building inspired by Charles Rennie Mackintosh,beautiful gardens and not too far from city centre.We attended a wedding at this venue last year and everything was fantastic (staff ,catering ect)congrats and hope this helps.

bb
  • elainewelainew Forumite
    889 Posts
    weve been to crieff hydro for weekends and its lovely xx
    TRYING hard to be a good money saver :rolleyes:
  • My husband and I were married in Stirling Registry Office (stunning!!) and then had our reception at Crieff Hydro 3 years ago. We had a very small wedding meal with 16 guests and 40 at the reception. Crieff Hydro was amazing and the staff were so helpful, they were there when we needed them and everything went so smoothly. I would highly recomend Crieff Hydro, get in touch with there wedding advisor and arrange a visit.
    340 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi all

The search still continues. I have been to 20 venues now and have easily discounted a further 50

I am just finding it hard for traditional venues to hold 130 guests (we have lowered numbers as we realise people from OZ arent going to come) without it being in a marquee - and it is a no-no. we do not want a marquee.

I think we have gone through every castle we can find - now onto manor houses etc.. and we have extended the search to the central belt, but still NOT the city centres

I thoought this was going to be easy

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals