An 8p Valentine’s card.... good or bad? Blog Discussion

Replies

• And for all us that help the BG's :j :j Ok i'll get me coat :(
  • CaixtaCaixta Forumite
    226 Posts
    rchddap1 wrote:
    If only I'd have known I'd have picked one up at the weekend for OH. He's probably give me a pat on the back for money saving again.

I agree, my husband would LOVE this and probably proudly display it on his desk at work!

On second thoughts, if he bought one for me, I'd probably tick him off for spending too much, as we don't usually buy each other cards. I prefer to put the money in our savings account instead! Even 8p would make a difference!
    He is very romantic in ways that cost nothing, that show he's used a bit of thought. We met as penniless students, and we enjoyed making our grants stretch as far as possible. Remember grants?!? I must be showing my age now!

A while ago he stopped at Somerfield on his way home from work to pick up their free mag which has a lot of coupons in it. I was thrilled to bits! He calls it "coupon !!!!!!" as he knows I don't get these mags for the articles...

(I'm a bit cynical and think that Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, etc are usually just big marketing opportunities. Not knocking those who enjoy cards, though. It's just that we are trying very hard to save up and are cutting out non-essentials. It will be worth it when we reach our goal.)

As for Asda's Smartprice Valentine's card: I think it's a good idea, but only if you get maximum return from it by recycling it every year! Just pass it back and forth :love:
    "By not unsettling men, you will reassure them. By unsettling men either through timidity or malice, you are always compelled to keep a knife in hand." - Niccolo Machiavelli, 1469-1527
  • suziewuziesuziewuzie Forumite
    727 Posts
    ✭✭
    Why not make your own - much more personal. Most of us have got a few bits of paper,card, ribbon etc around the place. Come on - use your imagination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Weight loss - here we go again - watch this space!

US...........And them............
  • shopbotshopbot Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    redux wrote:
    Martin's right - I don't like the undertone

Perhaps people are reading too much into this card?! Few people are going to buy this as a serious present! It's more of a joke - maybe to give to someone you know who is exceptionally tight. The SmartPrice branding is part of the joke. It's a brilliant piece of marketing by Asda generating loads of media coverage and might encourage a few people into their stores. It's not an original idea though - last year an e-mail was doing the rounds showing a Valentine card in Tescos blue and white 'value' branding.
  • MoJoMoJo Forumite
    541 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I think Martin's cracked it - the branding has made it 'cheap' not necessarily the price.
  • quoiaquoia Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anybody actually bought one of these cards ??

Neither of the ASDAs in Derby have ever had them and do not know anything about them !!! They even phoned other stores who were also totally oblivious of their existance.

They wondered if it was some sort of spoof that had been created by the media, a rival or a prankster!
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish i had known before, i could have saved myself £3 :grinheart
  • Anyone wanna send me one :happylove Ive got on objections to getting one.
    :j Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus :j

• arisaris Forumite
    339 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I think the card is great - and yes, it is a joke card. You would not buy it for anyone who would not appreciate the joke.
  • tee_pee_2tee_pee_2 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    i went into my local store to get one but there weren't any left. Not sure what that says about the area I live in!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides