Texting australia

Options
Hi there,

Im in Australia at the moment and was wondering if anyone knew how much it cost my friends and family to text me from back home in england. I have an AUSTRALIAN sim card (virgin).
I know it will vary according to talkplans etc, but i was just wondering if it is the "usual" rate or whether its any more.
thanks in advance
HN :)

Comments

• monki_man
    monki_man Posts: 368 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I rmeember texting to my aus gf and i was on virgin network..it cost me 20p per text and I think o2 was charging me about 20p as well. Not sure on other networks
    [size=-5]Olympic 2007 challenge Started 9 Jan 2007[strike]Aim Silver 2007.00[/strike] Aim Gold 3007.00 Achieved so far:782
    [/size]
    [size=-5]Feb 2007 Grocery Challenge

28th-03rdFeb £17.75
    04th-10thFeb £13.31
    11th-17thfeb £18.54
    18th-24thfeb £17.19
    25th-3rdmar £3.70
    [/size]
  • monomer
    monomer Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep, it usually costs more to send an 'overseas' text, and they're not usually included in any text bundles either :(

For a one-off fee of £4.99, o2 PAYG do a 'international talk and text bolt-on' which will reduce the cost of texting overseas to 10p per text.

Vodafone are quite expensive and charge 24p per international text.

If you have a spare mobile and a UK SIM card, you could use that on roaming instead. Texting to a UK number (even if it's roaming) from the UK would be the same as texting normally to a UK phone, and for you receiving texts on roaming is normally free. The downsides are that you'd have to lug about an extra phone, and reply using your Aussie phone as it'd be cheaper to send texts from that than the roaming UK SIM!
    "...And I gave that man directions, even though I didn't know the way, 'cause that's the kind of guy I am this week." -- Homer Simpson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure