New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

How/Where do I start

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
5 replies 1.2K views
Peter-Pan_5Peter-Pan_5 Forumite
380 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
I have 185 Shares in[Halifax] Hbos when they demutualised,can

I put them in an Isa, say with Jupiter.

If I can, how do I do it?

Thanks
A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
El sabio muda el consejo, el necio no.

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    103.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Share exchange is possble with a number of providers.

It would be treated a Capital Gains Tax event so make sure you dont do it in a year where you have used your CGT allowance.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I have 185 Shares in[Halifax] Hbos when they demutualised,can

I put them in an Isa, say with Jupiter.

If I can, how do I do it?

Thanks

You can sell them and then buy them from within a self select isa such as from comdirect.com
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    103.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Most IFAs wont get involved with self select ISAs as it is outside of the licence. Deemy's option is fair enough and you could search the internet for self select isas.

Income has little to do with capital gains tax. In simple terms these shares started with a nil value as they were free. If the value you sell them at is above the annual CGT allowance, then you enter CGT allowance.

Most windfalls are below the CGT allowance but I have dealt with some in the 10-15k mark which are twice the allowance.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Most windfalls are below the CGT allowance but I have dealt with some in the 10-15k mark which are twice the allowance.

Sell half in March and half in April ;)
  • Thank you both I am slightly wiser now.
    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    El sabio muda el consejo, el necio no.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support