We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Very worried - Husband may be made redundant

My Husband has just rang to say he is at risk of Redundancy. He has been invited to a meeting on Wednesday.

We have 3 small Children (6, 3 & 1), I had just asked my employer for a career break after finishing maternity leave in Jan, so currently I have no income apart from child benefit.

My Husband is on a good wage, but we have a big mortgage. He has only been with his employer for just over 2 years.

I am very worried as we have no savings and would not be able to afford mortgage payments if he does loose his job.

I am going to have to ask my work if I can go back ASAP & cancel the career break and also look for another job to do as well (I am only part-time & there is no possability of more hours at the place I work).

I feel numb but having to put a brave face on as the Kids are on their School Holidays.

Zippy x
:p Busy working Mum of 3 :wave:
«1

Comments

  • Aww Zippy it really is awful right now.... can't really find the words except to say keep positive...

    Twice my DH has been at risk.. the last time I was pregnant and soo worried.. however I always think what happens.. happens for a reason and he has now got a much better job elsewhere..
    Bit of a Florida Fan :j
    8/12/08 Highlands Reserve, 3/12/09 Calaby Parc
    18/8/10 Villa Upper Class 19/12/10 Villa Upper Class
    10/08/11 C P Tower Lake 10/12/11 C P Tower Lake
    28/4/12 Emerald Island 22/7/12 Florida for 6 weeks
    13/12/12 4 weeks C P Tower Lake 13/2 Prize win Orlando
  • CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Good Luck, it makes a refreshing change to see the partner prepared to stand up and take some of the responsibility for providing.

    Hope it goes well for you both.
  • Hi Zippy, I can sympathise. My partner was made redundant last week and we have massive outgoings each month. He's doing some labouring work, but while I'm still working I also try to do everything I can to bring extra bits of money in. I have been finding some security in the little things;

    Reducing the weekly food shop (change supermarket, or downgrade on brands)
    Cooking from scratch much more (amazing how far mince and tinned tomatoes will go!!)
    Selling stuff on ebay

    We're also taking in a lodger which will bring in nearly £400/month. This might be difficult if you've got kids, but desperate times call for desperate measures sometimes.

    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
    Jan 09
    Virgin CC £6800, Natwest loan £4700, NR loan £1280 TOTAL £12780
  • Numpty_Monkey
    Numpty_Monkey Posts: 14,196 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hope everything goes well :A
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
  • Hi Zippy, I am also in a similar situation as you and am so worried too. My husband will find out this week if he'll be made redundant or not. I know this is a nerve-wracking time for all of us, but I am sure we can support each other and give each other tips through this forum!

    Best of luck for both of you and anyone who are in the same boat!
  • Perhaps it would be worth looking now at what you can reduce in terms of luxuries. Sky (go to freeview), mobile phones (do you have an expensive contract - can you go on PAYG), do you have things you can sell on e-bay.

    Perhaps you (he) could very quickly apply for a credit card online as your partner is still in full time work. I'm not advising that you get yourself into debt; however it may tide you over for a couple of months.

    I was made redundant just over 4 years ago now. I remember my wife and I felt sick with worry, but we got through it. Okay our mortgage at the time was relatively small, but you need to start cutting your cloth accordingly.

    Remember he hasn't been made redundant yet; even if he isn't perhaps you could use this as a bit of a wake up call.

    Good luck and keep posting.
  • ncsmummy
    ncsmummy Posts: 450 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I won, I won, I won!
    Aww hun I hope it all turns out well for you. Seems there are lots of us in the same boat at the mo sadly. I am worrying at the moment too - hubby has been put on a 4 day week at work - luckily this covers the bills but nothing more but I am worried this is just the start of it and he will end up being made redundant, theres just no way of knowing just having to wait and see.
    Sadly so many companies are in this situation at the moment. Try and look at your outgoings to see if you can save anything anywhere - we have cancelled sky and gone onto freeview (made £50 on the sky + box too) and sold everything we dont need anymore on Ebay - its not a lot but it all helops. I am looking for a job too - have always stayed at home with the kids but needs must!
    good luck xx
  • zippybungle
    zippybungle Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Thanks everyone.
    I have been trying to cut down on things for a while, as I have been on unpaid maternity leave for 3 months and then on my career break for just over 1 month.
    Sky will definately be going (I had been nagging my Husband to get rid of this for a while anyway). There isn't much else I can cut down.

    I rang my Mum earlier and told her the situation, I am hoping that is things got really really bad then she may be able to help out a bit.

    My Husband has allready started ringing around the various recruitment agencies & contacts from his old jobs.

    I will give you an update on Wednesday.

    Just trying to put things in perspective at the moment, at least we have our health and that is the most important thing (just seen an item about Jade Goody on the yahoo news)

    Zippy x
    :p Busy working Mum of 3 :wave:
  • ncsmummy
    ncsmummy Posts: 450 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I won, I won, I won!
    Think thats the best thing to do - getting in contact with people will hopefully lead you to something. Have had hubby ringing round all the different companies to see if theres anything out there!! Its hard isnt it? only so much you can cut back on. I was worried the kids would be a nightmare if they didnt have sky (they are 7 nd 4) but they only complained for the first day!! Its my DDs birthday soon and luckily I have explained the situation to family and my Mum offered to pay for her party so even if we have to really cut bck on pressies she still gets a party.
    Totally agree tho - reading about Jade put things into perspective for me a bit - at least whatever happens we are all still healthy and thats priceless.
    Take care xx
  • Numpty_Monkey
    Numpty_Monkey Posts: 14,196 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Doesn't sound the best of news:o, sorry

    I started a thread and theres some links and things in the first post you might find usefull:o

    But the last thing in your post is very true:A
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
    Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying :o . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm :mad: & :( for you all at the same time . Wish I was there to give you a big :grouphug: & emergency hobnobs
    xx
    DFD 5/1/16
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.