We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Scared of Redundancy :(
crapwithcash82
Posts: 1,044 Forumite
Hi All,
I'm 3 days into a 30 day consultation period with my company who I've been with for 7 years. There are 31 people "at risk" in my category and 7 of those will go. They are aiming to be able to let us know by next week so hopefully not too much waiting around.
In the meantime, I've calculated the amount I would receive to see if I can pay off any of my debts with it. If I got rid of those it would take the urgency off the need to find a new job immediately. I study 2 nights per week for a degree and I would only really need to earn enough for my fees for my final year (as my current employer paid for this year and have said that won't be taken back as it was agreed prior to any talk of redundancy).
I'm hoping it doesn't come to redundancy for me, I feel really let down by the company and feel that by being loyal and staying with the same company has got me no where, at the end of the day we're all just a number, its really getting to me today
I'm 3 days into a 30 day consultation period with my company who I've been with for 7 years. There are 31 people "at risk" in my category and 7 of those will go. They are aiming to be able to let us know by next week so hopefully not too much waiting around.
In the meantime, I've calculated the amount I would receive to see if I can pay off any of my debts with it. If I got rid of those it would take the urgency off the need to find a new job immediately. I study 2 nights per week for a degree and I would only really need to earn enough for my fees for my final year (as my current employer paid for this year and have said that won't be taken back as it was agreed prior to any talk of redundancy).
I'm hoping it doesn't come to redundancy for me, I feel really let down by the company and feel that by being loyal and staying with the same company has got me no where, at the end of the day we're all just a number, its really getting to me today
0
Comments
-
Really sorry to hear your story, if i'm to take that the 82 is your dob, then you may even have been at the same company since leaving school? What a way to repay your loyalty! OH and I are in the same boat- redundancy, trying to study to get to university, need to find fees, plus trying to get debts down. it's a lot of pressure and such a shame! my sympathies, but well done on getting your debts down thus far, i know how hard it can be."What...? I was only saying...."0
-
Very sorry to hear your news. I am also going through a consultation process (won't find out until week of 23/2) and it is so demoralising and depressing. Can't really offer any practical help but just wanted to wish you the best0
-
Yes the 82 is my year of birth, I've been with the company since college so have been here 8 years. The whole process just makes you feel worthless, after dedicating so much time and effort for a company. We (the "at risk") population have finalised all the documentation we need to feed back to management, so our rep has told them (ha, the rep is brilliant, she takes no [EMAIL="!!!!"]!!!![/EMAIL]!!) that we have to know by next Wednesday.... hopefully they won't prolong the agony....
Its so depressing that so many people are in this situation, every industry seems to be affected some way or another.
0 -
They cannot let anyone know who's redundant until the consultation period is complete. The consultation period can only be shortened if agreed to as part of the consultation process. So if they do let you all know next week it will mean you have all agreed to reduce it from 30 days to around 9 days. If you are all happy to do that then no problem ... but don't be railroaded into it.crapwithcash82 wrote: »I'm 3 days into a 30 day consultation period with my company who I've been with for 7 years. ... They are aiming to be able to let us know by next week ...
And please do remember that even if you are happy to reduce the consultation period, it might be very problematic for some of the other people ... and some of those people may well find it very difficult to say that openly. When we had this situation in our consultation period we did an anonymous vote, and agreed we would only shorten the consultation if 100% unanimous ... which is wasn't.Favours are returned ... Trust is earned
Reality is an illusion ... don't knock it
There's a fine line between faith and arrogance ... Heaven only knows where the line is
Being like everyone else when it's right, is as important as being different when it's right
The interpretation you're most likely to believe, is the one you most want to believe0 -
how do you know what the 'at risk' categories are? is this publicised anywhere?0
-
Hi reheat, we are all desperate to know, so all emailed our rep individually to say whether we were happy or not. We (as a population) have requested that they let us know next week, none of us see any point in dragging this out any further than need be. One girl actually asked if they could tell us the day after our latest meeting!!
GoldenJill - we were all sent letters and then the people in my group had a meeting. I suppose the first we knew of the exact people in our category was when the rep emailed us all.0 -
I know how you feel. I got made redundant in August after 12 years with my company and in some ways it was a bit of a shock as I didn't think I was "at risk" - just goes to show that no job is safe, no matter how much loyalty you have given the company.
On the plus side, I've managed to use a lot of my redundancy to clear off a lot of my debts so that has made me a lot happier. I've been temping with the same company and same agency since October and got paid a good hourly rate. However, this week the company offered me a permanent role at 2k more than I wanted and 5k more than my last job - so one door closes, another door opens.
Good luck though.Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free
Mortgage free since 2014
0 -
Fine. Well good luck, whichever way you go.crapwithcash82 wrote: »Hi reheat, we are all desperate to know, so all emailed our rep individually to say whether we were happy or not. We (as a population) have requested that they let us know next week, none of us see any point in dragging this out any further than need be. One girl actually asked if they could tell us the day after our latest meeting!!Favours are returned ... Trust is earned
Reality is an illusion ... don't knock it
There's a fine line between faith and arrogance ... Heaven only knows where the line is
Being like everyone else when it's right, is as important as being different when it's right
The interpretation you're most likely to believe, is the one you most want to believe0 -
Deep_In_Debt wrote: »I know how you feel. I got made redundant in August after 12 years with my company and in some ways it was a bit of a shock as I didn't think I was "at risk" - just goes to show that no job is safe, no matter how much loyalty you have given the company.
On the plus side, I've managed to use a lot of my redundancy to clear off a lot of my debts so that has made me a lot happier. I've been temping with the same company and same agency since October and got paid a good hourly rate. However, this week the company offered me a permanent role at 2k more than I wanted and 5k more than my last job - so one door closes, another door opens.
Good luck though.
Yes I feel like you are just a number to them, there's no gratitude for your loyalty. The way they are doing it is performance based, so even tho they have stated positions which are going, if that person is fantastic at their job and you are crap at yours, you will go and they will be moved into your job - not good for self confidence!!
I have roughly worked out !!!!!! amounts for my debt based on the redundancy package, which isn't that great. I figure if I prepare for the worst and I still have my job thats fine, if not then I am prepared and have some sort of plan. There are loads of agencies around my area which I could register with and see what happens.
Glad things worked out for you tho, I guess everything happens for a reason and if you're better off now then thats great. I think its just a thought, having to change jobs because you have to and not because you have chosen.0 -
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your possible impending redundancy. Don't forget that people are not made redundant, jobs are made redundant.
If an employer acts within the law, they will decide which positions are to be made redundant and they cannot then refill those positions with someone else from within the business. The job doesn't exist anymore so someone cannot be moved into your old job.
All the best.There is no excuse for rudeness. Ignorance on the other hand is excusable – you don’t know what you’re talking about.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
