We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Scared of Redundancy :(

2»

Comments

  • monkeymo, you are right, jobs are made to go not the person. In my situation, there were 3 people doing virtually the same role and 1 role had to go as there was only really the need for 2 people.

    I don't think mine was performance related, the company had to get rid of 200 staff and I was one of them. Also, I worked for a large blue chip company and they have been axeing jobs like there's no tomorrow and still are so I was just somebody that got caught up in it all and as my department was closing and I had manager as such, I was a prime target although it was still a shock as I was told they had another job for me.

    To be honest, not sure I would have wanted to stay on there with all the unrest so I guess I'm better off where I am.

    I do miss my mates there though but keep in contact with them so it's not all bad!
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • monkeymo wrote: »
    Hi,

    Sorry to hear about your possible impending redundancy. Don't forget that people are not made redundant, jobs are made redundant.

    If an employer acts within the law, they will decide which positions are to be made redundant and they cannot then refill those positions with someone else from within the business. The job doesn't exist anymore so someone cannot be moved into your old job.

    All the best.

    Hi Monkeymo - yes it is the positions they are making redundant, but they have said that its not necessarily the person in that position who will be made redundant. They are analysing the performance of everyone, and the bottom performers will go. It isn't my position thats up for the chop it is one in another office - but if the girl in that job is the best performer in the group, and I am the worst, then I will go and she will get my job.... :( I don't want anyone getting my job, I really really like it!!
  • Hi Monkeymo - yes it is the positions they are making redundant, but they have said that its not necessarily the person in that position who will be made redundant. They are analysing the performance of everyone, and the bottom performers will go. It isn't my position thats up for the chop it is one in another office - but if the girl in that job is the best performer in the group, and I am the worst, then I will go and she will get my job.... :( I don't want anyone getting my job, I really really like it!!


    Hi again

    I loved my job too otherwise I would not have spent 12 years doing what I did. However, someone had to go and as large companies often do, they kind of felt there was no need for a "third person" to do the work of two people.

    Try to remain positive about it all, I do know how hard it is.

    I bet you are not as old as me where job opportunities are even harder when you get older (yes, I've worked in recruitment and know about age discrimination) but it's still tough as "younger" people are still preferred.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Hi again

    I loved my job too otherwise I would not have spent 12 years doing what I did. However, someone had to go and as large companies often do, they kind of felt there was no need for a "third person" to do the work of two people.

    Try to remain positive about it all, I do know how hard it is.

    I bet you are not as old as me where job opportunities are even harder when you get older (yes, I've worked in recruitment and know about age discrimination) but it's still tough as "younger" people are still preferred.

    Hi Again! Thanks for replying, I know it is just a job at the end of the day, but when you enjoy it, and its potentially going to be taken away from you, its a hard pill to swallow. I'm sure I'd find something else, I guess there are always options and everything happens for a reason. I've got a gorgeous baby girl and a fantastic partner, so as long as I have them and my health, I dare say another job would come along.

    Hope I'm worried about nothing, but as you've proved, if the worst does come to the worst, other people have managed to dust themselves off, pick themselves up and get on with things! I'll keep my post updated with whats happening, but thanks for your support and your emails, this site provides so much help and good advice! :T
  • It is a nasty experience I know.

    I was made redundant back in 1998. About 50 of us went and what got me at the time was, they said we would all be scored on things like sickness, lateness etc.

    I was rarely sick and never late but still I was picked and found that upsetting at the time. Also they wouldn't let us go at first, so we who were going felt embarressed and the people who weren't didn't know what to say to us.

    The upside for me and you never know, maybe you. I ended up getting another job eventually that I enjoyed more and the pay was and is (I am still there) much better.
  • I've been informed today by letter that my job is safe! I'm extremely relieved!

    Thought I would update my post incase anyone was reading it. Good luck to all those who are still waiting.....
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.