We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Building Insurance Claim Problem

Options
My flat is on the first floor so have one other flat below me. Last week I was away and on my return home I was advised by my neighbour (below flat) that whilst I was away they had water dripping out of thehall light in there propoerty. In order to prevent any further damage they turned my water supply. An emergency plumber visited my property to determine the source of the leak as I had no water. The floor was removed which couldn't be done without damaging it and a hole had to be cut into the pasterboard in the wall all to resolve the leak. I have today spoken to my insurance company and have been advised that unless my neighbour or I have any water damage they won't pay for any claim. I have damage but not due to the water but due to preventing the water causing any damage.
An electrician is visiting my neighbour's property today to inspect the electrics around the light. If no significant damage is found, due to the water supply being turned off as soon as the leak was noticed what will happen regarding all the damage to my property which was caused by fixing the problem.
It seems crazy to me that my neighbours did the right thing in order to prevent damage yet from the insurance companies perspective they should have let the water flow so a claim could be paid. Has anyone had a similar issue or could anyone shed any light on where I stand should the electrician come back with a no damage report? Thanks

Comments

• Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    An interesting post and an unusual situation.
    I can not guess what the legal position is.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family