We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Plasma TV Accident

Options
Hi folks.

I purchased a £1500 42inch plasma telly from comet in 2005 and went for the extended total product cover warranty for 5 years. This runs out next year.

Now my problem... I have had to move back to my dads house for financial reasons. I have stored my plasma in the spare bedroom on the floor. While I was adding more of my things into the room the screen was accidently damaged. I havent checked to see if it still works but i do know once a plasma screen is cracked or smashed its had it. Another thing, my insurance certificate is still regisitered to my old address.

I'm worried that im not going to be covered since the telly was damaged at a different address as whats on my insurance certificate.

Another thing.. if say that I am covered, has anyone idea if I will be allowed to choose a new tv of my choice within my original purchase price or will they try and fob me off with a cheaper make and model?

Please help :)

Craig.

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have contents insurance?
  • CraigV_2
    Options
    I assume my dad has yeah :)
  • dacouch
    Options
    It depends then if the warranty includes Accidental Damage, if it does they will probably replace it with an equivalent current tv so probably valued around £600.

The address you registered the tv should not affect it
  • CraigV_2
    Options
    it does mention accidental damage on the cover... £600 is taking a big hit on what i originally paid for. Are there ways to get them to offer more?
  • dacouch
    Options
    I doubt it, technology and the price of it have moved on, therefore to out you in the same position as you were before the damage they could do this by replacing with an equvivalent new tv which would probably cost circa £600. If they paid you the £1500 you paid for it you would be profiting
  • slummymummyof3
    Options
    The price of plasma/lcd tv's is on the downwards trend as technology improves - you must also remember you have had 4 years use of this tv, so whilst it appears you are taking a huge losss on the original purchase price, in effect you won't be a) because prices have dropped and b) because you have had the tv for 4 years
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    It depends then if the warranty includes Accidental Damage, if it does they will probably replace it with an equivalent current tv so probably valued around £600.

The address you registered the tv should not affect it

I'm sorry, but this is silly.

The address of where you took out the policy certainly will matter. A domestic home contents policy will cover you for items within your own home- the address you gave them. Some will have very limited contents away from the home but are usually worded to exclude this, and a TV isnt a personnal possession.
  • CraigV_2
    Options
    FlameCloud wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but this is silly.

The address of where you took out the policy certainly will matter. A domestic home contents policy will cover you for items within your own home- the address you gave them. Some will have very limited contents away from the home but are usually worded to exclude this, and a TV isnt a personnal possession.

FlameCloud, what would you recommend then.. that I should inform them of my change of address first and wait a while b4 claiming or come clean and hope for the best?
  • dacouch
    Options
    He said he has accidental damage as part of his warranty, might i suggest you read all of the threads
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    CraigV wrote: »
    FlameCloud, what would you recommend then.. that I should inform them of my change of address first and wait a while b4 claiming or come clean and hope for the best?

Yes, go ahead and commit fraud. Nice one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport